Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas, sage advice, or just pictures of how folks have installed full size CBs in their ride. I've searched the forums but it seems that a lot of folks delete their linked photos off photobucket or whatever. Very Annoying but I did find one good example of a lower center dash install.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=991815&postcount=17

I'm not afraid of cutting into the plastic, but I wonder how muffled a bottom mount speaker would be. I guess external speakers are always an option because my ears aren't getting any younger.

Plan B is to install into the driver door cubby. An intersting idea for sure and might be better for speaker placement/ ease of control, but there would be more headaches for running wires as well as stress on the electronics with the door opening, being slammed, and maybe more exposure to elements.

Plan C would be in the headliner some place, but since I won't be using the CB that often this doesn't appeal to me very much.

Anybody got another idea? And any photos you have or can take are worth their weight in gold.

Oh, and here is my CB Radio:
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Classic-Radio-Nigh****ch-Illuminated/dp/B00006JPF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415242290&sr=8-1&keywords=Cobra+29+NW+LTD

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi Mnemonic,

I was also looking for a way to install a CB in my Xterra, your plan C (the headliner) gave me an idea : Could it be possible to attach some bracket under the interior light to hold a CB (the brackets will exit the headliner on both sides of the interior light) ?

This will make the installation completely reversible, no holes in the headliner.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This is where my external speaker is mounted.

Where my CB is, yours probably won't fit sideways like mine did but it might fit the other way.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I won't be using the CB that often ....
Anybody got another idea?
Why hack up your interior for something that isn't of permanent use?

Do as OffRdX (and others) has done, stuff the radio into the center console and add a coax cable to a magnetic mount antenna. Did this for years with another type of radio; easy to install/remove for trail runs.

Or ...

Forego the CB and get a HAM radio.

They can be had (with handy extras) for just under $100.
Another $25 for the Technician license and you're golden.

IME CBs suck for use on the trails I run ... many ridges, thick forest (i.e. lack of "line-of-sight").

·
Registered
506 Posts
An amplified external speaker is always better than the built-in ones for most consumer-grade CBs.

My vote:
For that size CB, mount it on top of the center stack and run an external speaker wherever you need it to work for you.

I like the HAM approach, but you can't talk with most others unless your entire group have similar setups... We used FRS/GMRS radios just fine for many trail rides and convoys.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Looking for ideas, sage advice, or just pictures of how folks have installed full size CBs in their ride. I've searched the forums but it seems that a lot of folks delete their linked photos off photobucket or whatever. Very Annoying but I did find one good example of a lower center dash install.
FWIW, it's not really people deleting their photos. Some photo hosting sites delete links if a photo is not viewed in 6 mos or longer, other sites have limits of say 100 photos, and every time a new photo is uploaded, the oldest is pushed out, etc. It's not members deleting their photos to annoy you, its photo hosting sites breaking the links.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
We used FRS/GMRS radios just fine for many trail rides and convoys.
When several of us go out, this is what we use. A couple of us have radio sets so we can share with those that don't. For short distances you can't beat them.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Get an all in one like the Cobra 75 wxst. Plenty of mounting options. Ham is nice but not everyone has one and there are unlimitied (almost) frequencies to try and find someone. CB is better for trails unless all parties on trail ride are hams . Mounting a ham is just as bad as a CB due to the design but there are some super small dual banders out there for $150 or so

Do as OffRdX (and others) has done, stuff the radio into the center console and add a coax cable to a magnetic mount antenna. Did this for years with another type of radio; easy to install/remove for trail runs.

Or ...

Forego the CB and get a HAM radio.

They can be had (with handy extras) for just under $100.
Another $25 for the Technician license and you're golden.

IME CBs suck for use on the trails I run ... many ridges, thick forest (i.e. lack of "line-of-sight").

·
on line
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies everyone.... I'll try to respond to the questions/advice....

Good point, but not a deterrent to me. This is my daily driver, and I do take trips with this vehicle about every other month where it will absolutely be used. Just not every day. At close to 9 years old (I bought it in late 2005) she's no beauty queen either, but will certainly avoid any hack job.

I was going to say this won't work because I already own a full size radio, but depending on how much space is under the center console cubby, I may get it to work. The radio sticks 1-2 inches above the arm rest if I just set it in there. I also love the idea of having it hidden out of sight. So while I don't have a compact CB to be plug and play, you did get my creature juices flowing. Good call! Let's just hope spacial dimensions cooperate....

I like the HAM approach, but you can't talk with most others unless your entire group have similar setups... We used FRS/GMRS radios just fine for many trail rides and convoys.
All the FRS/GMRS stuff I've seen was handheld. Is that right? Unfortunately my family has a bunch of CBs already, so I know I'll get use of that band.

FWIW, it's not really people deleting their photos. Some photo hosting sites delete links if a photo is not viewed in 6 mos or longer, other sites have limits of say 100 photos, and every time a new photo is uploaded, the oldest is pushed out, etc. It's not members deleting their photos to annoy you, its photo hosting sites breaking the links.
Ah thats makes sense, and I do agree there is no real intent or malice behind it. It just seems to happen alot when the search finds a promising post, and I'm like:

+1 for center console. look in my build thread, i have many pictures of the process and finished product
Yeah, I saw your pictures, and the overall install photos will definitely be referenced later. but as I said above, my radio will barely fit the width of the center cubby and will stick out about 1-2 inches. But I will see if there is room to cut a hole in the bottom and still have room for all the wires. If that works, it should be pretty slick. And an external speaker mounted in the front of the center console would allow me to run the CB with the armrest closed.

And PA, gotta get a PA, and hope I don't get in trouble with it! :)

Get an all in one like the Cobra 75 wxst. Plenty of mounting options. Ham is nice but not everyone has one and there are unlimitied (almost) frequencies to try and find someone. CB is better for trails unless all parties on trail ride are hams . Mounting a ham is just as bad as a CB due to the design but there are some super small dual banders out there for $150 or so

I agree and would go with that if I was buying new. But already own a radio.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Save the full size for when you get another vehicle. I have a uniden full size as a base station and a spare Cobra 29. I use a Cobra 75 wxst in the X but if I get a Wrangler ther is a secure radio box available and will use the full size there .

Thanks for the replies everyone.... I'll try to respond to the questions/advice...

I agree and would go with that if I was buying new. But already own a radio.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here is where I mounted my full size Galaxy 929 until I replaced it with a Cobra 75WXST. Driver's side kick panel. It was a little difficult to see the controls, but once they are set, you shouldn't need to do much. Make sure the screws are not rubbing any wires behind the kick panel trim. I wanted my foot room back, so I swapped to the Cobra all-n-one. I'm not as happy with it, but the fact that is out of the way behind the dash makes up for it.

·
Registered
262 Posts

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=991815&postcount=17

I'm not afraid of cutting into the plastic, but I wonder how muffled a bottom mount speaker would be. I guess external speakers are always an option because my ears aren't getting any younger.

Plan B is to install into the driver door cubby. An intersting idea for sure and might be better for speaker placement/ ease of control, but there would be more headaches for running wires as well as stress on the electronics with the door opening, being slammed, and maybe more exposure to elements.

Plan C would be in the headliner some place, but since I won't be using the CB that often this doesn't appeal to me very much.

Anybody got another idea? And any photos you have or can take are worth their weight in gold.

Oh, and here is my CB Radio:
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Classic-Radio-Nigh****ch-Illuminated/dp/B00006JPF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415242290&sr=8-1&keywords=Cobra+29+NW+LTD
I have the same radio installed in my X, but it sets back a little more and at an angle similar to Sickboy595's installation since I did not cut the rear cross brace off of the console. I installed an external speaker on the front bottom that faces forward since there was a flat piece of metal already there. I had to fabricate an aluminum bracket that attached to the console in order to mount the bracket. If I get a chance this weekend, I will take some pictures.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I did the driver door cubby, and it has worked out great. The wires are not an issue, and the overhang from the armrest protects it enough when you open the door in the rain. All of the switches are very handy and very convenient. If you need pics, let me know. Way better than cutting up your dash or hanging it from the ceiling.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
So I bought my truck in Feb 2013. I was all jazzed about installing a CB because I thought that would be awesome!

So I did this:

There is an external speaker mounted on the drivers side under the dash to the left of the steering column.

At first I was really excited about it, then after a few months I realized how much I don't use it. It only gets used on SCCX runs.
Additionally, I passed my ham radio technicians license exam and realized how much more awesome it is than CB.

So I installed this:

In retrospect, if I did it all over again knowing what I know now, I would of bought the smallest CB radio I could find that allows for the use of an externally mounted antenna and mounted it in a not so in your face location.
In fact, I may do that one of these days and install a double din head unit that supports Apple Car.
Really and truly the only reason for a CB radio now that I have my ham ticket is that it is the lowest common denominator for trail runs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts