Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My X with just over 10K miles is about to get it's third Fuel Sending Unit. Actually before I take it back to the dealer again I am calling Nissan USA, to let them know. I do not blame the Service Dept at the dealer, as I am sure they probably are just told to replace it when it is not within specs, but something must be causing the Sending Unit to go bad. Has anyone else heard of any problems with these.

I fill it up and it does not quite reach full, whereas usally it would go above full. I then drive 15-20 miles and the gauge drops by nearly a 1/4 of a tank. I have had replaced twice already. It's not a huge issue because I know I have plenty of fuel, and I know I can do appx. 325 MPT.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
All winter mine was screwed up, as soon as it warmed up it started to work. I have 41K on it now. I haven't had anything done to it.

·
on line
971 Posts
Isn't if after 3 times, you can claim the lemon law on them? I could be wrong as I don't know the actual specifics of the Lemon Law.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
How did this end up?

My fuel unit died as well and they replaced it but I'm still getting horrible gas mileage on this tank as well.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
Maybe Check the wiring to the fuel sending unit. In my Audi. I had the same problem, got it replaced, and then found that the wires were dirty. so they cleaned it. It didn't fix the problem, but it might be what's wrong wit urs

·
on line
2,459 Posts
It's all under warranty so I'm not worried about it. But I've got to document my gas mileage for a bit for them to look at it without any lights on or anything.

·
on line
122 Posts
My sending unit failed at 14K. It would not go below 1/3 of a tank. Replaced under warranty.

Hawkinsw

·
on line
251 Posts
When I had a 2000 X I replaced the fuel sending unit three times myself
it would go bad just about every 20k
I found that the wires where corroded so I wraped the wires on the third unit with plastic wire protector from the auto store and electrical tape
the third unit was still working fine when I traded the truck at 190k

·
on line
1,667 Posts
mine went bad at 42000 miles. the gauge would hit 1/4 tank and drop to empty the next time i restarted.

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine is still bad, which would be the 4th or 5th time, I can't even remember but I have the documents from the service dept.. I have given up for now since mostly I just watch the mileage and my Scangauge. Since I have had it documented as a multiple occurrence I am being told that they will fix it for the life of the vehicle regardless of warranty expiration. So when I get around to it, I will take it back.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Wow, this seems like too many failures on too many vehicles to me. Nissan should get their sh*t together and fix the problem.

·
on line
11 Posts
I just had mine replaced at 32K and was told that i was over filling my tank and it was causing too much moisture to get into the lines. not sure what that meant or how to prevent not filling it up? my next tank of gas after the fuel sending unit was replaced i got about 14mpg on the highway. never seen it that bad. wonder what they did.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
You should just fill up till the pump clicks off. Don't top it off with those few extra squeezes of the handle. This is why. (From the EPA web site):

You need extra room in your gas tank to allow the gasoline to expand. If you top off your tank, the extra gas may evaporate into your vehicle’s vapor collection system. That system may become fouled and will not work properly causing your vehicle to run poorly and have high gas emissions

EDIT: BTW, over filling is bad for the evap system but I think is has no effect on the Sending Unit

1 - 20 of 88 Posts