Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some issues with fuel level for the last couple months. This isn't the usual inaccurate gauge problem. I have come to accept that I'm going to get 250 miles out of the first half of the tank and only 80-100 out of the second.

Several times i have filled up and only read 2/3 or 3/4 full. Plays around up and down for a while. Day or two of regular driving (3-4 start and stops) it goes back to being accurate. For example if i did very light around town stops 1 day my tank wouldn't actually read full until the day after i pumped.

Anyone else have this issue? Time to change it? Flippin' a coin SeaFoam but it doesn't really seam like build up on the sensor track kinda thing.
'05 OR 4x4 just tipped 100K.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
This is the FSU (fuel sending unit) going bad. The FSU going bad is a common issue with Xterras. My FSU has been acting up for a while but I just bought the parts to fix it. There is a How-To on the site, one of which involves dropping the fuel tank and the other cutting a hole below the rear seat to reach the FSU in the fuel tank. Your FSU is acting exactly how mine has been acting the last 5 months.

I believe in normal operation you will see 225-250miles with what registers as the first half of the tank when read from the gauge (getting nominal mileage that is) and the next 80-125 on the second - so that part is normal when working.

There is a user on here, Jersey Parts, he can get your the right parts to fix the FSU yourself. If I recall, the cost was around $80 for the parts.

·
TNX Administrator
20,205 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. i was hoping i wouldn't have to drop a gas tank this weekend (if i can get parts locally) . Guess i'm doing some extra driving to burn some of the full tank of fuel i have since i just pumped :mad:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Dropping the tank is the easiest way to do this job. It is actually fairly easy. Disconnect a couple lines, undo the two straps holding the tank. A buddy of mine and I did the job in less than an hour. I know some people have cut the hole in the floor to access the top of the tank. But I believe in the time you take to make sure you are cutting the hole in the right place and then actaully cutting the hole, you could have already dropped the tank down from underneath. Just my .02

·
TNX Administrator
20,205 Posts
Mine was done by the dealer at no charge also...

·
on line
2,649 Posts
Oh. What's the mileage limit?
I didn't get a chance to read that link.
I'm at 101k

Looks like I'm goin back to the scan gauge idea

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Get a locking gas cap as well, if you don't have one already. The one downside to the scangauge is that if someone siphons your gas. You must also tell it when you fill up and how much.

Was cruising down the road with 10+ gallons left according to the scangauge when my X had no power and came to a stop, wouldn't start. Turns out I was out of gas and there was a recent barrage of gas siphoning where I was parking daily.

·
on line
951 Posts
I'm at 170k and looking at having to replace it for a second time. First time was at 90k, not looking forward to doing the job again.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought my vehicle used from the dealership (certified pre-owned) with 40k on it. if there was a recall they would have done it. Any chance that i can play the warranty what you put in cause it's defective card? lol

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'm at 170k and looking at having to replace it for a second time. First time was at 90k, not looking forward to doing the job again.
This is the reason I plan on cutting a hole when I fix it. I will keep the X forever and I am sure this failure will happen again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
had the same problem with my 2007 x model at around 30k. i have since purchased a 2011 pro4x i am at 63k and havent had the fsu probelm yet. the repair on the '07 was covered under warranty. when i bought the '11 i went all in and got the extended warranty (100k or 5 years). i really think it has alot to do with how often you fill the tank. back in '07 through '08 i was filling the tank everyday again that was with the '07 X model. i think if the repair isnt covered under warranty you r better off just using the scan gauge and getting fixed when you sell if its an item of concern.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts