Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Fuel Filter Question ?

42K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Techmanothetech 
#1 ·
How often should I change out the fuel filter?

I got those suggestion cards for 15k miles from the dealer. and everything I can do on my own or get it done free somewhere else, except for the fuel filter?
I cannot afford to do it myself, I already have 2 projects lined up, that need to be done at my friend's garage, and I just feel bad imposing, so this is going to be a dealer done thing.
and if i do need a new one, is there an aftermarket one?

#5 ·
Are you talking about the fuel filter or the fuel pump pick up? FYI...The fuel pick up is mounted to the bottom of the fuel pump and looks like a sock. It keeps larger debre from entering the fuel pump and damaging it. The actual fuel filter is usually located further down stream after the fuel pump to filtrate smaller debre from entering the fuel injectors. I've got about 25k on the X and its time to replace it as soon as I find it. I would say changing out the fuel filter about every 20k is a good idea, its cheap insurance against dirty gas stations. The guys with all the bolt on performance parts, especially the few super charged would should really make this part of your routine maintenance. On my Rx7 which is pumping out over 500rwhp I change out the fuel filter about every 4K. I don't drive the Rx7 everyday so it works out to about once a year.

I've been around high performance vehicles from some time now and I can tell you I've seen first hand what a dirty fuel filter will do. BOOM..!! For instance on the dyno I've seen a car run a A/F ratio of 12.7 ish but with a fresh fuel filter the same car with same variables show a 12.0. In the tuning world thats a heck of a difference. I know you guys are saying that you don't drive a high performance vehicle or horse power monster. The VQ40DE motor is no joke, the motor is actually a stroked out VQ35DE, the same motor in the 350zs and Infiniti G35. I strongly recommend running 93 octane in your X or 89 at the very least. I assure you there will be a noticeable difference in performance just switching from 87 octane to 89 octane. Running 87 octane, some of you guys may be experiencing some engine knock. I know I did when first bought my X and used the recommended 87 octane. Here in San Antonio its only about a $5.00 difference between filling up with 87 and 93. Worth it to me. I recomend filling up at Chevron because they have an additive called Techron which keeps your fuel injectors clean. Maybe a I'll do a write up as soon as I find and replace the filter in the X.

#6 ·
The fuel filter is in the tank and is part of the fuel pump/sending unit.

Running 89 in our X's is pretty much a waste. I have 50K miles on my X, I had played around with different oct gas and besides a lighter wallet it made no difference (in performance or MPG).

#7 ·
^ strange, I figure you would benifit from the higher octane rating seeings how you are at a higher elevation. My fiance and I noticed a difference between regular 87 and 89 octane. The X runs smoother over all and doesn't get any sort of engine knock. I feel and hear the difference so I'm sticking with the 93 and 89 octane. As far as the fuel filter being intank that stinks. I would really like to change the fuel filter, but wouldn't want to buy the whole fuel pump setup to do so. Guess I'll throw a bottle of Techron concentrate in the gas tank.

#9 ·
Is 76 still even around? I know all the ones in my area shut down and I know they are no longer the fuel of NASCAR.

I go where ever it's cheapest. If there was one in my area I would probably use a KwikFill as they are all American, from the oil to the refined gas.

#10 ·
:clown: Union 76 is as big as ever, it just ain't Independant any more--

--I've used Union 76 for 47 years, never used , other gas, except once outta Eagle Lake, I had to get 5 galons of Chevron, for trail saving reasons--

--The Union 76 brand is now known as:

--PHILLIPS 66 CONOCO 76
----P.O. Box 689140
--Des Moines, IA 50368-9140

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

#11 ·
I have not noticed much difference at all between 87 and 92 octane except upon extreme acceleration..and I live at 7,000' elevation. Mileage sucks regardless of what fuel I use, lol.

Not looking forward to changing the fuel filter. blah.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.