Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the warmer weather has moved in, I've been using the AC much more. However, I'm not really don't see a noticable drop in fuel economy. Am I dreaming that or do you see the same thing?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
What you have to remember is if you live in an area where you have winter blend gas, you are already getting sucky gase mileage all winter. So now with the A/C on, you are getting about the same.

If you turn the AC off, you will probably get better gas mileage. Even with all those ponies under the hood, I can feel the lack of power with the A/C on, so I am sure I am getting worse mileage...but I try not to run the A/C much.

·
on line
429 Posts
Shouldn't see much drop especially at highway speeds. What you lose with the load of the AC compressor you gain back with the aerodynamics of having the windows closed.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Consumer Reports did a study on this recently. They found AC on or off was maybe one mpg or so. Then there's the whole windows open vs AC thing, and while it varies by vehicle aerodynamics, they also found the differences were negligible.

Hills, rough driving, tremendous heat, very fast driving, stop-and-start are obviously major variables as far as how the AC affects mileage.

I'm just going with what's most comfortable lately. Sometimes I even have the AC on and a window cracked. So shoot me!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Oh, I drive around with the windows down and the A/C on a lot. I like the fresh air, but I also don't like to sweat. :)

I have been driving the Jeep a lot and with the top down, no need for AC...and good thing, I am getting 7.5 MPG. :)

·
on line
83 Posts
This will be my second summer with my new X, and so far I've been getting roughly 19mpg with the AC on; this is the same as last summer. And this is half city/half highway driving. The last two winters I would get roughly 16mpg. I do take into consideration the winter gas blend produces less mpg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts