Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the following items in reference to r180's for sale.

• Complete R180, 3.36, 100K Miles: $150 (PM If Local)
  • R180 Carrier in Mint Condition, 20K Miles: $40
  • Blown Spider Gears R180, 3.13, Gears and Housing Good, 95k miles: $50
Pictures will be posted upon request. As with any r180 I would replace both seals before install. The Off Road/Pro-4x Automatic transmission has the 3.36 gearing. All other models in AT come with 3.13. They will fit in a frontier, but I would have to get your specs to see what gears you have as there are a lot more options. The r180 carrier will work to replace your broken spyder gears if you snapped some teeth up front. It came out of MadMike's flying brick and I had it for a backup before I titan swapped.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a 2008 SE and thinking I want better gearing. So if I've read correctly I could swap in that 3.36 gearing for the 3.13 I have currently(Auto). That's doable correct? Obviously having to change rear also.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm assuming I have to swap into a M226 so I planned on it. I'm new to this, is that all that needs done though, correct? Will I need to adjust anything else along with that? Especially if I went to a 3:56 from a manual to an auto?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct. You will pull your CV shafts, drop the front drive shaft and remove the 3 bolts that hold it in place along with disconnect the breather tube. There is a difference in carrier though as there are 2 models of ARB locker for the front r180. One for 3.54 and down and one for the 3.69 and up. I don't know why but skibum315, surf and snow or killswitch would off the top of my head.

The m226 is a direct swap also from the xterra as they are spring under axle rather than the frontiers which are spring over axle. Just make sure the yoke on the m226 that you buy matches your drive shaft or you will have to order one to match. Here's a great walkthrough:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60959

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-titan-yoke-by-nissan-2004-rear-m226-d44-24-spline-4bolt-flange-p-35930.html

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I can give you a head start, call Wade at Parts Brokers LLC in Georgia and let him know the parts you are looking for. Tell him the Xterra with titan parts guy sent you. He will call you the next time he has something in stock. They get a lot of brand new parts from Nissan that were slightly damaged during shipping (cannot sell as new from a dealer) and they have phenomenal prices.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Well I can give you a head start, call Wade at Parts Brokers LLC in Georgia and let him know the parts you are looking for. Tell him the Xterra with titan parts guy sent you. He will call you the next time he has something in stock. They get a lot of brand new parts from Nissan that were slightly damaged during shipping (cannot sell as new from a dealer) and they have phenomenal prices.
Just be VERY descriptive in what exactly you want from PBLLC. I had a fiasco with a M226 axle awhile back. They are really good with their prices, just not great with customer service.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And to date, you have been the only xterra guy that has had this problem, as plenty of us have had a great experience and the parts have been correct. They even stopped the ebay auction, dropped the price and sent me a paypal invoice so I could pay with my Bill Me Later account. There will always be a bad experience here or there and at the end of the day, although a royal PITA for you, they eventually got it done. My rig was up on jack stands for two weeks because I was sent the wrong flange, twice, for my m226 when I was swapping axles (before I had my daily driver) and that's from one of our awesome supporters. I continue to order from him without question. Mistakes can be made. Not too mention you're dealing with a rather large parts company that deals with a lot of different manufacturers, the fact that they got a RH and LH axle confused out of a m226 (as they are 2 different sizes when you have an e locker) is not really surprising.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
FS: r180's, r180 Parts, etc

I bought my m226 w/ 3.54 gears from him with no problems. If you are running 285's I would step up to the 3.69's though. If I did it all over again that's what I would do.

3.54's with 265/75r16's in an auto was awesome!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought my m226 w/ 3.54 gears from him with no problems. If you are running 285's I would step up to the 3.69's though. If I did it all over again that's what I would do.

3.54's with 265/75r16's in an auto was awesome!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
3.69s are that much of a difference? I do have 285s with auto. Are they on a Pro4x/offroad manual?
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 39 Posts