Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friend of mine owns and operates a CNC/welding shop.

He is into Jeeps like we are into Xterras and made a custom set of LCAs for his jeep that look like Dirt King LCAs. He offered to make me a set for $500 bucks using OEM control arms and modifying/welding/cutting them to give added protection and rigidity.

Dont know if that is a legit price but figured I would run it across this place to see if their could be any interested parties. Dirt Kings sell for around $1400.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I might be interested for OEM Titan LCAs.

Can you get pictures of his LCAs, especially the ball joint end and what materials/layout he plans on using/doing.

Would they come powder coated?

We would ship him control arms, he would beef them up and ship them back to us?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Well the Dirt King ones arent stock LCAs with additional bracing. They are fabbed up by them. And as far as the price from your friend, is that with the cost of stock LCAs along with materials and labor? Or just materials and lobar with us paying separately for the LCAs?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be full price with everything (all though he roughly tossed a number without actually pricing it out). They won't be powder coated, he doesn't own that equipment but bed lining could be a option Im sure. And I doubt he could include shipping.

What I do know is...he would buy OEM LCAs and then modify them by welding 3/16" stainless steal to form an A frame box around the control arm itself. The ball joint will be OEM and I don't know the protocol for pressing in new joints if there is any.

The sway bar mount will also be removed but I am sure he could draft up a way to remount it.

Sorry I didn't snap any pictures. We were talking about it while watching the game last Sunday.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The biggest characteristic of the stock LCA that I would change would be the ball joint angle. It is the limiting factor for higher lifts (Extended CO's with lift spacers). I wouldn't be interested unless that was addressed. Reinforcing them is just a bonus.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Im sure a local shop may be able to do it for less but there may not be to many shops willing to draw up a design, source brand new arms and weld and reinforce then up for less, perhaps same price, but less is really pushing it.

I know Dirt Kings are awesome, I only referenced them because they look similar. In no way did I intend to say these custom LCAs are Dirt Kings or you would be getting dirty kings bad ass ness.

However, perhaps onbly 5-10% of members are willing to spend $1400 on lower control arms for a standard lift, which is the cost of Dirt Kings....I dont know, thats what I thought at least.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The biggest characteristic of the stock LCA that I would change would be the ball joint angle. It is the limiting factor for higher lifts (Extended CO's with lift spacers). I wouldn't be interested unless that was addressed. Reinforcing them is just a bonus.
I had a pretty detailed discussion with PRGreg about the OEM LCA's and the Dirt King's which claim to have a better ball joint angle. I'd be interested to see if the DK arms truly offer better balljoint angles. I know the uniballs they offer for 2WD allow that, but as for the ball joints for 4WD there isn't any specified proof! Someone who has a set of those DK LCA's should compare side by side with the OEM arms. The fully fab'd arms aren't as thick as OEM so it may look like they offer a better ball joint angle, but it may not be the case. I'd be really interested in seeing if what they are advertising is true or not!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts