Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, today has been the coldest day in NYC for a couple of years. The problem I had is that the driver's door appeared to be frozen. The locks won't disengage. This problem happened the last time we had a cold spell. I had to use a hair dryer to warm it up. ANybody else had this problem? I'm trying to avoid bringing it into the dealer if all they'll do is spray silicon grease or WD-40 or something.

·
on line
1,017 Posts
I doubt the "lock" is frozen if you are using your remote. However the door seals could be frozen to the frame. Try banging on the door frame and seeing if it will come loose. Try anotehr door.

·
on line
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I hopped in from the passenger side. If I hit the door lock button, all the doors flip open/closed except for the driver's side.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
I'm in queens and prob live no more then 10 mins from u, and had no problem today wit the dow locks.My issue today was my TPMS light went on.I'm assuming it was cause of the cold wheather.But as for the lock...not a problem

·
on line
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what part of queens do u live in? I'm in Forest Hills.

·
on line
315 Posts
So you have your first December with no snow in who knows how long...then your coldest day in january? WTF? Here in VA it was 75 degrees then suddenly frigid winter sets in and I can't be outside for five minutes without being uncomfortable. Ughhh...at least my locks aren't freezing. But my windshield fluid is...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
The Marines have a cure for this in cold climates, pour about 1 qt to 1/2 gallon of jet fuel and an Equal part of Lighter fluid. The lighter fluid slows the burn time and makes it heat up good. (I bet lighter fluid mixed with gas in 60/40 parts will work) Use a funnel of just pull the weather strip at the bottom of he window back, Now pour in the mixture, don't get any on you, It's best to use a fuse at least 6 ft long, Stuff it down in there and light it, Or, you can play basketball with lit matches from say 4 - 5 ft away and leaving the rubber pealed back and held open with a stone or something try to lob a match into the hole. You will hear a slight explosion, Flames will shoot out of the bottom of the door, the key hole, and past the weather strip, Sometimes the hinge area. This will not harm the powdercoating on a Shrockworks Slider or Skids. It may make bed liner type coatings applied to the outside slightly crispy or brittle. But you can bet your Azz the door will open! If not try it again and up the fuel mixture/ratio or reduce the lighter fluid. Kerosene or diesel fuel may be substituted for the lighter fluid, but be advised a lingering odor may occur. And yes I am kind of Joking, don't try this at home, or on a vehicle you paid for or signed for. However, if you are on active duty and picked up a vehicle that you did not sign for this trick really does work! MC

·
on line
46 Posts
you said it already WD-40...helps out in a pinch...just don't use it for door lock "lube" on a regular basis..try a silicon spray wipe around the door seals..may help a bit

·
on line
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, the lock disengages now, but the handle is shot. Probably from me yanking on it. I can open the door from the inside, but not from the outside. Bringing it in for service on Wednesday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts