Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to understand similarities between Xterra and Frontier. What are the common things that these cars share? How does Xterra OR compare to Nismo Frontier king cab in terms of off road capabilities. Are there any people around here who have driven both cars off road?

Thanks!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
The platforms are exactly the same (engine, suspension, drivetrain).... the only difference is that the frontier will be longer. The bed of the frontier sticks out quite a bit further than the tail end of the xterra so you have more of a chance of getting hung up (in a frontier) on your rear bumper.

·
on line
807 Posts
As S_E_X-Terra said, they are pretty much the same, it just depends on whether you want to haul people and have lockable/weather proof storage, or have the open bed for hauling large/dirty things.

·
on line
735 Posts
I was going to possibly get a frontier until I realized you couldn't get a longbed on CC 2005 fronty's. Also the crewcab isn't really that spacious- a tacoma is nicer there. The Xterra really didn't have a lot of shortcomings except for the lack of a bed. Well..I didn't like any minitruck out there at the time so I went the SUV route and hook up to my 5x8 utility trailer if I need to pull a safe or refrigerator or something.

It is also my opinion that the X is an easier sell on the used market. Frontiers and Titans are up against Toyota and other domestics and there are a lot on the market right now with gas being what it is. Until something better than the X comes along in the mid sized suv segment, I don't have any reason to get rid of it.

·
on line
3 Posts
I was actually shopping for an Xterra and went to make the deal and the dealer would not budge on pricing at the time. On my second test drive of the X, it seemed to be much "bouncier" (drove the OR both times) than I recalled after the 1st test drive (different dealer and different route). Well that deal fell through and was at another dealer, and then noticed the Frontiers. I test drove the Nismo Crew Cab and it rode much smoother overall....which surprised me for being a truck with very little weight over the rear axle. Anyway...I was able to get the deal I wanted on the Frontier and have that. There are some days I really wish I would have gotten the X, but overall, happy with the Frontier as well. Either way it has the VQ!!! So a win win either way! My daughter is nearing driving age and she is telling everyone she will be getting my truck when she gets her license! LOL. Well....might be my chance to go get the X. Just hope gas doesn't continue the way it is.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I hope gas does continue the way it is. It dropped more than $0.25 in a week around me. It's now down around $3.69. It was at the $3.99 mark just over a week ago.

·
on line
236 Posts
Ok... Having both trucks... I gotta shoot alot of ya down. Yes we have shared "platforms" and similar parts... But that's where it ends.

Everything about wheeling is different. The extended wheelbase is a good and bad. Depending on the lift... A standard lift (since alot of you know my Fronty isn't normal). You have a better chance of highcentering and snaging the rockers. The major plus... The wheelbase is alot longer than the typical Jeep like SUV that rolls trails and makes ruts that the X finds a chanlange... The Fronty won't even notice.

The Rear Ends are TOTALLY different. So lifts and options change dramatically. You can easilly get alot bigger in a Fronty (mine with a 10" lift). I don't think there is an X out there even close to that number yet.

Cabins... Pretty close to the same, the Fronty drives more truckish... The X, more Car/SUVish.

Gearing... The Frontier has different gears... The OR X is lower geared than the NISMO Frontier. So you'll get better gas mileage in the NISMO at crusing, but have more low end power in the OR X.

Handling... Again, The X feels more carish than the Frontier... The Frontier feels like a lowered Titan.

The suspension between the two... The Frontiers OEM leafs are worse than ours... they WILL flatten with shackles.

There are way too many differences for me to list... Most of the front end and engine is the same, but from the cabin back... Everything changes.

IMO... drive them both... if you can find a friendly dealer with a dirt lot that will let you play a bit... do it.

I'd take the X any day over the fronty... So the Fiancee has the Fronty and I got the grocery getter :)

-MadManX

·
on line
1,340 Posts

·
on line
3 Posts
Depending on your needs, they are both great vehicles. The wife and I liked them so much, we bought one of each...

I agree!! We actually have the Frontier and an Armada to pull our camper. Otherwise we might have both as well.....actually considering selling the camper and considering a Pathfinder. But once you get used to traveling with all the room of an Armada, its hard to thing smaller. Until you have to gas up that is. LOL

·
on line
1,977 Posts
It dropped a penny on Maui.It`s now $4.61!Every time there`s an increase on the barrel it goes up in a few days.But when it goes down it pretty much stays the same.Can you say"PRICE FIXING?"

·
on line
5,614 Posts
You can easilly get alot bigger in a Fronty (mine with a 10" lift). I don't think there is an X out there even close to that number yet.
Except for mine. I have a Fabtech Dif Drop and spindles for the Fronty, long Rads and a full deaver pack in the rear. OH, and Monday the SOA on the rear will be done. I also have a 3" BL. Right now the front is about 9-10" (with only 1.5" of preload) total lift and the rear will be 11". I plan on doing Greg's coilovers and spacer and that'll be another 1.5-2" in the front.

and then all the SAS Xs if you wanna count those

·
on line
129 Posts
Or... just combine the ruggedness and spaciousness inside of the Xterra with the good looks and length of the frontier.. and do what I did... get a PATHFINDER!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts