Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sometime in the future I plan on lifting my X a bit. I was looking at some Frontiers earlier and they look pretty good with around 6" of lift and 33" tires (285/75) so I think 6" is the number I'm going to shoot for. I haven't really been planning anything but a local scrap yard has a rear out of an 06' Frontier with 72k miles for less than 200 bucks. SOA would probably be the best way to get my desired amount of lift in the rear and being 2WD I don't have to worry about matching gear ratios or excessive difficulty/expense of lifting the front with 4WD and IFS. I know that I could pull my axle and weld new perches, ect. but I don't plan on doing this right away and I'm just curious if this would be worth picking up because it would cost more for me to mod my axle, since I don't have the tools, than to pick this one up. How much lift before a lengthened driveshaft is required? What else will the SOA axle swap require?

Keep in mind, I'm not doing this right away. I'm collecting parts and I wasn't going to start right now but that's just too cheap to pass up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm longer brake lines and a custom driveshaft at least, longer shocks as well.
That's what I was figuring just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything hiding from me. Has anyone done this on a 2WD before?
I'm going to get all of the parts together and swap everything all at once so I'll go from bone stock to lift+33" tires. Probably give me gas mileage shock....

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
just get new spring perches and weld them to the top of your existing axle. this way you can set your pinion angle to where you want and you wont need a custom driveshaft either nor a new rear axle. all you would need it longer shocks, spring perches, and brake lines.

i have some shocks for sale that will work with this if youre interested. 5100 5"-7" from prg. and spring perches can be had on ebay for 20$

·
on line
401 Posts
Reviving old thread, anyone knows if the perches of Frontier are the same width as an Xterra? I want to do a SOA mod at the back to run a drop diff bracket at the front. Just swapping the rear axle would be easier since there would be no welding perches and not have to redo the steel brake lines. I also heard that shocks mount might not fit, don't care if I need longer shocks if the mounts are aligned and I don't need to weld anything.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Reviving old thread, anyone knows if the perches of Frontier are the same width as an Xterra? I want to do a SOA mod at the back to run a drop diff bracket at the front. Just swapping the rear axle would be easier since there would be no welding perches and not have to redo the steel brake lines. I also heard that shocks mount might not fit, don't care if I need longer shocks if the mounts are aligned and I don't need to weld anything.
pretty sure it would be a direct swap, youd probably need longer shocks, and longer brake lines, and a new driveshaft.

·
Registered
561 Posts
the mounts on the Frontier axle are higher to take advantage of more available clearance. Once you SOA, you actually loose up travel (there is now a spring pack between your frame and axle). You may not need longer shocks.

Only one way to find out: mount one leaf spring then allow the opposite side to droop. Take an extended measurement. Jack up the free side to where it would bump stop. Take a compressed measurement. Go catalog surfing.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
the mounts on the Frontier axle are higher to take advantage of more available clearance. Once you SOA, you actually loose up travel (there is now a spring pack between your frame and axle). You may not need longer shocks.

Only one way to find out: mount one leaf spring then allow the opposite side to droop. Take an extended measurement. Jack up the free side to where it would bump stop. Take a compressed measurement. Go catalog surfing.

I am SOA on my Xterra, and I did not lose up-travel at all; it just looks like it because there's so much lift in the rear. I have WAY travel in both directions; am I going to stuff the tire in the wheel well? No, but I can stuff the rear to the stock bump stops, which means I have at LEAST the same amount of uptravel as before.

Sn0

·
on line
401 Posts
I am SOA on my Xterra, and I did not lose up-travel at all; it just looks like it because there's so much lift in the rear. I have WAY travel in both directions; am I going to stuff the tire in the wheel well? No, but I can stuff the rear to the stock bump stops, which means I have at LEAST the same amount of uptravel as before.

Sn0
I agree with you, the only way you could lose travel would be shocks that are too short.

·
Registered
561 Posts
You have changed other variables like shackle length, leaf spring, etc. If you keep the same suspension jounce (suspension travel) and all you did was move the axle from SUA to SOA, then you have lost up travel equal to the thickness of your leaf pack.

Theoretically, you have gained that same amount of down travel; effectively moving your suspension range "down" further away from the frame. However - in order to use all of that travel - you would either have to move your shock mounting points down or get longer shocks. (hence "you might not need longer shocks")

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
When swapping to SOA people still use Xterra springs. Thus the axle just goes under the spring instead of over, and the spring says in the same spot. That won't do anything to reduce travel, so long as you get the right shocks. Take your pic on the left, leave the bump stop and spring in the identical place and only move the axle circle under the spring. That's what folks are doing.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I think he means it can't go any higher than this picture, because that empty space is now occupied with the spring and it's perch. You lose space to compress it into (his diagram is full compression on both setups). Though that SHOULD be fine, since most people SOA when they go big on tires, and can't stuff them as much anyways (due to height or width).

This is your basic 285/75/16... nothing much bigger is gonna stuff. This is rubbing frame, so any wider (or more offset) will just get closer to the fender.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think he means it can't go any higher than this picture, because that empty space is now occupied with the spring and it's perch. You lose space to compress it into (his diagram is full compression on both setups). Though that SHOULD be fine, since most people SOA when they go big on tires, and can't stuff them as much anyways (due to height or width).

*SNIP*
Exactly. In theory, (assuming youre keeping the same springs, shackles) SOA simply moves the suspension travel down away from the frame without changing its travel length.

Good point on the bigger tires, though. I had not considered that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts