Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months I was looking for this topic everywhere but couldn’t find anything for reference! After getting a new windshield installed I finally got it tinted, after months of contemplation. Obviously, anything below the bottom 6 inches on the front glass is illegal (in GA & most places) so it’s a little hotboy even with what I got done; 50% 3M Crystaline. My front sides are 20% with the rears at about 15%-10% with 20% over the factory smoked glass. I personally love the look and the glare and heat rejection benefits Crystalline tint offers, car is much cooler, night driving is close to normal with LED bulbs. Let me know what y’all think and has anyone else gotten their windshield done or thinking about it?

Ignore my passenger headlight lol

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I can see the benefit of front windshield tint, but for me it's not worth the potential hassle of a traffic stop or the cost to straighten things out after being ticketed.

1st offensive could be over $100 + the cost/time to remove the tint.
For those which dont comply, fines will increase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not going to lie, I passed three cops on my way to class today, anxiety on 11. Rolled both sides down immediately, and was cool. Definitely not good for paranoia haha. I’m going to the eye doctor later this month to get an exemption so I don’t get ticketed if pulled over. Surprisingly rolling the sides down hide the tint somewhat.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I’m planning to get it done. Shops here are quoting me $150 for the front only. Going to get the sides done too, dark as your percentages. Mind getting a few shots of the sides? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have a friend with the 3m 'clear' Crystalline front window tint.
In reality, its like 5% or 10% blocking (so 90% tint? Or however they flop the numbers). Not noticeable by looks, but DEFINITLY keeps the heat out. I'm sure it would read on an officers meter... but you can't tell by the naked eye. And, do officers carry meters that can be used on windshields? The only ones I've seen require the window to roll down (maybe because around here, no one tints the windshield and the other windows can be painted black if you wanted.
At night, there's a BIT of starry glare/blur/shadowing... but really not noticeable unless you are looking for it. And to be honest, its no worse than a bad wipe down or dirty window.

I've debated doing the 'ricer eyebrow' for awhile (either window tint, or with my 3m vinyl that matches my paint color), but I think I'll do the crystalline when I get around to re-tinting my slightly purple front windows that have a couple scratches from over the years. Living in the south without a garage, and never having cover at work... I'd like the truck cooler.

Reactions: NorthsideX

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,301 Posts
I’m planning to get it done. Shops here are quoting me $150 for the front only. Going to get the sides done too, dark as your percentages. Mind getting a few shots of the sides? Thanks!

Let us know who you end up going with. I'm thinking the same but haven't gotten around to getting any quotes.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I've had windows tinted with 15% for 2 decades and haven't had a single issue with the police. Never had a windshield tinted tho. When you don't drive in a way that gets attention, attention won't be brought upon you....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here the photos y’all, glad to see a positive response on my first post in the forum! My front sides are 20% with the rears at about 15%-10% with 20% over the factory smoked glass. I feel like it’s all about the angle with 20%, the sides used to look like 35 during the day before the windshield tint. As far as the sides go, a part of me wants to go with maybe 15% in the front to better match the back, but then feel like I usually get left alone because there is a noticeable difference between my front sides and passenger side percentages. The last photos are the front sides rolled down for cop repellent.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a friend with the 3m 'clear' Crystalline front window tint.
In reality, its like 5% or 10% blocking (so 90% tint? Or however they flop the numbers). Not noticeable by looks, but DEFINITLY keeps the heat out. I'm sure it would read on an officers meter... but you can't tell by the naked eye. And, do officers carry meters that can be used on windshields? The only ones I've seen require the window to roll down (maybe because around here, no one tints the windshield and the other windows can be painted black if you wanted.
At night, there's a BIT of starry glare/blur/shadowing... but really not noticeable unless you are looking for it. And to be honest, its no worse than a bad wipe down or dirty window.

I've debated doing the 'ricer eyebrow' for awhile (either window tint, or with my 3m vinyl that matches my paint color), but I think I'll do the crystalline when I get around to re-tinting my slightly purple front windows that have a couple scratches from over the years. Living in the south without a garage, and never having cover at work... I'd like the truck cooler.
I was thinking about 70% for the longest for the front & ended up changing to 50 last minute. I’ll probably get 70 on my next car just for the comparison on both. The heat rejection is amazing with any percentage, if I ever get that dream 911 gt3 with a cage I’d go with 80% all around so folks and see the interior but I can stay cool lol.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think it looks really good. As far as liking it, the tint level is very much personal preference. My wife had our last SUV done all around and I hated the back being darker than the stock tint because you couldn't see anything at night, especially off-road. For the front windshield, I couldn't stand the way it diffused the lights at night and there was a small line that I could see during the day that was distracting. It might be due to me wearing contacts but these distractions with the windshield drove me crazy and she never noticed it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
When you don't drive in a way that gets attention, attention won't be brought upon you....
Yup, that's my problem lol

I think it looks really good. As far as liking it, the tint level is very much personal preference. My wife had our last SUV done all around and I hated the back being darker than the stock tint because you couldn't see anything at night, especially off-road. For the front windshield, I couldn't stand the way it diffused the lights at night and there was a small line that I could see during the day that was distracting. It might be due to me wearing contacts but these distractions with the windshield drove me crazy and she never noticed it.
Yeah, the 'clear' crystalline does the same. It seems to just be preference on whether it bothers you. I don't remember if it messed with polarized sunglasses... that would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did the 70% on the windshield of my wife’s Focus, night and day difference in heat gain here in AZ. The only issue we’ve had is that she likes to put stuff on the dash and the tint film now has some scratches as a result.

Completely unnoticeable when looking at car and the only tell that it’s tinted is a seam where the shop cut it to fit over the rear view mirror.

Wouldn’t ever go lower than 70% on the windshield personally. If you need things darker, sunglasses are cheap and don’t result in fines…

1 - 12 of 12 Posts