Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if you are looking at building a tow hook that will bolt to the existing holes on the passenger side as you must be aware we can't buy and install another factory hook there as it won't work , thanks Ian

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I would think not, just because once you get his bumper it is taken care of! I could be wrong though.

·
on line
134 Posts
For us poor folks a second tow hook would be much easier than a new bumper. I'm still kicking myself for not ordering before the price increase.....grrrr. I'd be interested if anyone does come out with one.

·
on line
463 Posts
I just this week-end installed my front bumper from Shrockworks.
Removed the stock tow hook, if someone is interested , they can pm me with an offer.

Jim B

·
on line
853 Posts
winterules said:
Ya I'm not ordering a front bumper but a reasonable priced tow hook would be a good addition
Don't all 2nd Gen X's come with the factory tow hook? It is on the passenger side. The one you can't find is a matching hook to fit in the corresponding holes on the driver's side.

If you are worried about having the hook with a Shrock radiator skid (the one for people without his front bumper), it just bolts back up into place over the skid mount. Works fine. Just don't do what I did and bugger up the nut that is welded into the frame, it took a fair amount of cash and aggravation to get my tow hook back in place. NOTE that had nothing to do with Shrock's skid plate.

There is another thread around somewhere that discusses front tow hooks.

·
on line
134 Posts
Yup got a passenger side hook but would like to have a drivers as well.

·
on line
95 Posts
I would love to have a tow hook on the drivers side (for recovery and/or tie downs). Has anyone tried mounting the passenger side tow hook onto the driverside? If so does it look funny with the way it points?

·
on line
3 Posts
I have Shrockworks front radator skid installed and mounted a second passenger side tow hook (backwards) on the drive side. Fits fine. Should get bolts slightly longer than the factory ones so the treads in the frame are fully engaged (12.5x1.25x 60mm or so) .Bolts that come with the skid plate are too short. Second tow hook cost $39

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Just don't do what I did and bugger up the nut that is welded into the frame, it took a fair amount of cash and aggravation to get my tow hook back in place. NOTE that had nothing to do with Shrock's skid plate..
This seems to be a common problem with Nissan, Like they don't use torque wrenches at the factory or something like that. Or the metal is weak/soft? Something! So far I have heard roof air dams, stabilizer bars, Bumper mounts, rear frame where the hitch bolts to. Cross members, various skid plate locations and????? MC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts