Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

With a Shrokworks front bumper, does your front swaybar bushings look like the photos below?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, back in the spring time I replaced my front swaybar bushings. They were worn out and causing the swaybar to hit the Shrock front skidplate bracket.

At the time I didn't think much of it and for $2 or so each it wasn't like it was a hard or expensive change.

This is what my old bushing looked like compared to a new one.

Now, I replaced the bushings on 02/24/07.

This picture shows what the new bushings looked like on 05/08/07

As you can see the bushing is going bad again and is starting to make contact with the bracket again. These bushing are only a little more than 2 months old at this point.

Now, you might be wondering what this thread is doing in the Shrockworks forum. I have a theory and I ask those of you with a Shrockworks front bumper to take a look at these bushings on your X.

My theory is that since you place the 3/16" (is it 3/16" I am not sure) plate behind the swaybar brackets it places the brackets forward that far. The swaybar how ever still wants to rest in the same place (3/16" back). This might account for why the bushings are doing what they are doing.

If my theory is true, then just about everyone with a Shrock front bumper should have this problem.

So, guys, take a look at your swaybar bushing and let me know what they look like. Do they look new, or do thay have that spread / squashed look?

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Your pic looks like I'm looking at my Sway bar bushing

Was trying to figure out what the knock was that I get from time to time in the front. This has to be it.

Ordering a new set on Monday.

Later

DaveP

·
on line
807 Posts
The front swaybar bushings have to large an ID in my opinion, even stock they look like that. I say try replacing them with a bushing that has a smaller ID. I think you can buy bushings like that at most autoparts stores.

·
on line
358 Posts
I replaced the bushings on my 4runner with poly from Wheelers Offroad http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/4runswaykit.htm They are great. I would contact them to see if they carry a set for the Xs. Another option is to take a micrometer to the anti-sway bar and get an exact measurement and call Wheelers and see if something would fit.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Seven months after a Shrockworks bumper/winch install my bushings look just like those in the second picture.

I added my vote to the poll.

·
on line
32 Posts
Bingo! I just recently diagnosed that knocking noise by getting under the truck while my step son rocked the truck. My bushings look like the pic as well. I was thinking about throwing some grease in there because I found that adding a little oil actually stopped the friction/popping noise. I like to fix things right so I will be getting some new ones.

·
on line
32 Posts
I also spoke with Jim at Shrockworks to see if they have been addressing this issue and he says it's the first time he's heard of the problem but was very willing to to look into it and gave me some sources that might have better bushings

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Energy Suspension (found at any fine auto parts store) has polly bushings that will fit. I am not sure of the size, but they are listed for the Titan which has the same diameter swaybar.

·
on line
386 Posts
I recently upgraded to the PRG Radflo 2.5's and PRG UCAs. My front sway bar has been making a lot of noise so I took it off based on several members recommendation.

While I find the truck handles fine without the front sway bar installed, I live in Reno and do a lot of mountain driving in the Sierras and I find the body roll to be a little too much for my taste so I am ordering some new poly bushings and going back to the front sway bar.

Hopefully the poly bushings will last longer than the stock ones did.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I just put those on my truck two weeks ago Jason. They fit perfectly. No more noise from that thing.

Did you get greasable or non-greasable bushings?
Did you use the OEM bracket or the Energy Suspension Bracket?

You are talking about these :

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/swaybbct.html

IIRC the Xterras front swaybar is 32mm in diameter.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
{slaps head}
Suspension Connection!

That's the site I was trying to remember.

Thank you very much!

·
on line
331 Posts
Greaseable or non greaseable, I am afraid that the non greaseable will be squeaky.

·
on line
331 Posts
Check the link they are clearly available in 32mm both greasable and non-greasable. Polyurethane is know to be noisy

1 - 20 of 41 Posts