Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Same Country as Bucksnort
14,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got these from Greg at PRG

and these (notice the lube that comes with) http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/14-1123.html?id=TTz8wWhP

Installed

Had to ream 3 out of four holes

OLD stuff
rubber was rotting and cracking
link hardware was rusted and one nut had to be chiseled off. (you northeast coast guys will probably need to cut them off)

Thought I had a good spare from the old set then noticed that it had a cracked rubber boot. Allowing the lubricant to leak out.

The nylon threaded nut goes on the bottom according the PRGs website photo. The other nut is shorter and has no nylon insert. It again goes ON top

The first photo shows them incorrectly placed on the wrong ends of the links. This was how they arrived from shipment. I then consulted the PRG web site an after looking at Greg's photos I changed them to match. The Job consist of removing the sway bar links (two nuts on each sway bar link)then removing the bushing brackets(two bolts on each bracket). After removal new bushings are greased (using the shipped lubricant)then installed on the sway bar, then bolted up to the frame loosely. Links are attached at this point. It is easier to do this job if you remove the front wheels should you feel so inclined. It also makes reaming the lower sway bar link mount hole out easier.

·
14,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Routine in my opinion. I have had the truck 5 years.
Been off road all of 5 times(twice California and 3 times Moab)
Age related rudder deterioration.
Bushing are cheap (relatively) and the Links are well worth the upgrade if you wish to continue using the front links and sway bar with some offroad activites.( I know some don't)
Ya probably wont have to do this again for the life of your rig. You could always order the stock links from NISSAN and save a few bucks.

You may wanna check your rig to see how those rubber boots on the links are really doing.
Cheers

·
14,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
steel used to make the links looks better, stainless?(may rust or corrode slower)
bushings don't squeak with the lube and they are a higher quality material. should last longer.

From PRG website.....

Description

These are replacement sway bar end links for guys running tall leveling kits or extended travel upper a-arms. These are 1/4" to 1" longer than stock to prevent the endlinks from rotating past the center point on full suspension extension.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I like the adjustability. My stock ones were pivoted to their limit after my lift. They were hard to install; the adjustable PRG's made it easy...

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Nice! I put aftermarket sway bar end links and bushings on my previous vehicle and I've thought about doing the Xterra. Might have to add this to the "to do" list.

·
Registered
516 Posts
steel used to make the links looks better, stainless?(may rust or corrode slower)
bushings don't squeak with the lube and they are a higher quality material. should last longer.

From PRG website.....

Description

These are replacement sway bar end links for guys running tall leveling kits or extended travel upper a-arms. These are 1/4" to 1" longer than stock to prevent the endlinks from rotating past the center point on full suspension extension.

Thanks...I'll add this to my list of mods to do.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
check that spare you thought you had again, they're made so that they only work on one side. if you break one on the trail you'd probably be better off just disconnecting the front sway rather than reusing an old one thats a different length than your aftermarket ones

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Does anyone know if the endlinks and bushings going bad could cause noise? I have had lots of clanking, especially from the driver's side. I checked the wheel to see if the hub is bad but I am not getting any movement. I am going to replace the bushings on the rads, but I have a feeling it won't fix it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Does anyone know if the endlinks and bushings going bad could cause noise? I have had lots of clanking, especially from the driver's side. I checked the wheel to see if the hub is bad but I am not getting any movement. I am going to replace the bushings on the rads, but I have a feeling it won't fix it.
Darknight, I too have a clunking noise coming from the front driver side. I am currently running 2.0 Radflows, and it sounds like the left one might be shot. I am switching to 2.5 Radflows with lighter springs. I will let you know if that solves the problem. I haven't tried wiggling the tire to check the hub yet.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Strangely enough I just had to remove my bumper and put it back on. When I took it off the cracked bracket came off the left side. I did my best to reattached it firmly and I haven't had noise since. Its too early to say this was the culprit for sure, but I haven't had noise since Monday when I reattached it. Usually the noise was most noticeable when backing out of the garage. It was also bad when I grabbed the roof rack rails and rocked the X violently back and forth. Did that and nothing yet.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Is there a way to take the end links of the sway bars off while your wheeling? I saw a buddy of mine do that to his wrangler. I don't mean to take over the topic, but i thought it would have something to do with the sway bar links.
Hey, where in Queens are you? I'm in Rego Park. Me, you and BReal should have a meet.

Back on topic: I'm getting a clunk when I cut the wheel full left or full right. Brian from Cherry Hill Nissan thinks it's the endlinks so I may be doing this upgrade since I'm running a 2" lift. I've been wondering if the lift affects the endlinks cause it wants to pull the sway bar downwards now and not where it normally is....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
26 Participants
scottmen
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing