Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late last year I got some Alcan springs built to replace my sagging AAL on my PRG Advanced Coilover lift. The problem is that I ended up having to replace the shackles so the new springs would fit, so I got some PRG adjustable shackles. The springs were built for the stock shackle length, even with the PRGs set to the lowest height, my rear is still 2" higher than the front.

This brings me to my conundrum. I want to level the ride, which means raising the front an additional 2". I'm not a fan of spacers because they don't do anything for actual travel, just ride height. I'm also concerned about the angle of my CV joints. I want this to be a long-term vehicle that isn't chewing through expensive parts due to me screwing up the geometry.

My thought was to do a front diff drop bracket to get the extra lift that I'm looking for and take the angle out of the CV joints. My concern is that I recently installed a full set of Shrock skids and I don't know if they will work with a drop bracket suspension. Also, I'm just not finding much in the way of drop brackets, Greg at PRG was a champ in helping me get this far but I don't see anything there that will do what I want. Calmini has a full kit, but all the stuff for the back would just be a waste, along with a good chunk of my Shrockworks skid kit. I don't want to drop $2,000 for something I will only use half of.

I am open to suggestions and discussion. Help me figure out the best way to proceed.

EDIT: Took some quick measurements in the garage. From the floor to the fender the rear end is just under 39", the front is just under 37" - exactly 2" drop from the back to the front.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Ask Greg if he would make you a set of stock length shackles.

Edit: Is it the shackle length or leaf spring bushing that's makes the stock shackles not work? I feel like there is a way that you can get around dishing out the cash for a bracket lift if you're only looking to get the front end level...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have Alcans and stock shackles. The red bushings were very tight when I installed them but I was and still am too lazy to change them out to the original black bushings that were in the original leaf pack. They just squeak a lot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
He stated he has the PRG advanced coilover kit. So I would assume OP has the 2.0 radflos and the prg ucas in the front.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The front is set to whatever they were from PRG. From the pavement to the bottom edge of the front fender is just shy of 37", the rear is just under 39". The reason I have the PRG shackles is because the bushings pressed into the springs from Alcan didn't fit over the stock shackles. I spend a week and a half trying to get them on with no luck, they simply were too tight for those shackles.

Yeah, I know I could lower the rear, but when was less of anything better? "Damn, I really wish I was less endowed in the trouser department, then everything would be better."

Nah, I would like to get a bit more on the front rather than less in the rear, especially if I can keep the PRG UCAs and RadFlos from the Advanced Coilover kit. I was hoping to end up with a bracket and just the parts needed to make it work properly while keeping as much as I already have - ideally that would include the skid plate.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you have the Radflo's, do you not want to put more preload on them to raise the front a little more? If you haven't changed the preload from what it was when you got the shocks, you might have an inch or two you can add to the front without issue.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will see if I can squeak out a little more.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Why not just add a 1" lift spacer to the front? If you don't want to mess with the rear and you can't add much up front (or the ride gets harsh), a small spacer would help, but not totally level, your ride...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because I already have lift on it and to get more out of it without maxing out the CV joints I will probably have to drop the diff. Spacers give lift, but not articulation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts