Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may need to replace my front Polk DB690 speakers with some of the Polk componenet speakers, I'm thinking the Polk MMC6500. I think the trick to better sound is getting it up in the air, away from my feet. These come with the 1" dome tweeters, wondering if these will fit to replace the exising ones, or should I pop them into the door panels? Also, if anyone knows, should I amplify these or not. I'm also looking at the Alpine SPR-13S speakers. While crutchfield says they will fit, the guy at the local shop says they wont. Also, should I amplify these speakers, or leave them as is going through my Eclpise cd3100 HU.

Thanks,

Al

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Everything I have heard is that for the tweeters you will need to make a bracket or something to get aftermarket ones to fit. It didn't look to hard from what I have read.

If the speakers should be amplified question, what is the ratting of the speakers and your HU?

·
on line
500 Posts
I have the MMC6500s, and love them. The stock HU is cheap, so the sound needs an amp and a better HU, but I haven't upgraded... yet.

Patrick

·
on line
185 Posts
The stock front speakrs are 6x9. The Alpine 5 1/4 will fit but will need an adapter. My understanding is that if you buy them from Crutchfield, the adapters are included.

I have the Alpine 6.5 version. The shop built the adapters out of wood. They installed the tweeters where the stock tweeters used to be. This way, you can have the tweeters up high without cutting the door panels.

It is my opinion that a high power external amp would make any speaker sound better. In the case with component speakers, I think it is a must. I have a Alpine 4 channel amp driving the SPR-17S up front and SPR-17C in the back.

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patrick,

Can you say how you mounted the 1" tweeters, did you need to create a bracket, etc. or did they just pop in. Also how did you setup the crossovers. I think I'm going to need an amp here, pretty sure.

·
on line
500 Posts
aldo said:
Patrick,
Can you say how you mounted the 1" tweeters, did you need to create a bracket, etc. or did they just pop in. Also how did you setup the crossovers. I think I'm going to need an amp here, pretty sure.
I mounted the mid-range unit using the crutchfield mounting rings. The tweeter I used heat duct metal strapping to create the U-shaped bracket, and the provided tweeter cup. The standard holes in the strapping lined up just perfect, so the tweeter mounts takes less than 10 mins to make both mounts.

The front crossovers are mounted in the footwells, but the rear crossovers are mounted in the doors near the speakers.

Patrick

·
on line
352 Posts
I am running Polk MMC6500 in the rear and front. Acutally if you ask some audiphiles the stock position for our X is one of the best. It allows the sound to bounce of the glass (the best sruface for sound dispersion) and fill the car. I just rigged up a bracket out of MDF and there ya go. The bracket system doesnt have to be pretty because those covers , well they cover. Nice big area to work too.

·
on line
185 Posts
Dougw133 said:
I am running Polk MMC6500 in the rear and front. Acutally if you ask some audiphiles the stock position for our X is one of the best. It allows the sound to bounce of the glass (the best sruface for sound dispersion) and fill the car. I just rigged up a bracket out of MDF and there ya go. The bracket system doesnt have to be pretty because those covers , well they cover. Nice big area to work too.
That is exactly how mine is setup. Mine is not even screwed down. The cover secure it.

·
on line
352 Posts
Yeah to be honest the larger of the 2 mounting "cups" that comes with the Polk MM Series Components, barely fist on the rim of the stock spot.. Alittle epoxy and some patience was a perfect fit for the tweets. Let me know if you need pics

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bit of an update here, from what I've been able to gather, I guess the Eclipse cd3100 HU really isnt up to the task of powering the 4 polk speakers (2 - 6x9s and 2 - 6.5s) they need an amp. I'm gonna go with a 4 channel kicker amp for the 4 speakers, leave the amp with the sub alone. This should hopefully do it.

·
on line
178 Posts
I have the 6.5 Polk Momo comp. in the front and they are awesome, I have a Polk Momo c400 amp powering them.

·
on line
155 Posts
I have a 6 channel infinity amp. SOOO much better than RF system. My system was about the same amount as the RF option and it blows it away. Infinity Perfect 6.5 in the front with the tweeters in the dash. 6.5" Infinity Kappa Components tweeters mounted in the rear doors. 12" Eclipse Sub bridged. I made a custom adapter plate out of aluminum for the front doors. It took about two hours to ghetto fab and install using primitive tools. The ones I found at the audio stores were too flimsy to hold up. 6 1/2's sound a lot better than 5 1/4's IMO. Way more mid-range bass. Use a dynamat door kit to keep out rattles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts