Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Looking through the forums and couldn't find a reference. I'm installing new Front Speakers, 6x9 JBl GTO938. Will they be exposed? or must I remove the speaker screen and have them completely covered by the door panel?

·
Registered
822 Posts
door panel is one piece I think. Replacing speakers will look just like stock unless you do custom work to show off the new speakers. For install take the screens off the new speakers.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey Guys, Looking through the forums and couldn't find a reference. I'm installing new Front Speakers, 6x9 JBl GTO938. Will they be exposed? or must I remove the speaker screen and have them completely covered by the door panel?
I run these speakers up front. They will not be exposed. You will need to drill new holes into the plastic mount to make it fit. It will be on the inside of the door panel grill. You must remove the door panel to install them. Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run these speakers up front. They will not be exposed. You will need to drill new holes into the plastic mount to make it fit. It will be on the inside of the door panel grill. You must remove the door panel to install them. Good luck!
Hey Man you were saying you installed the JBL GTO938s, can you tell me what size holes you drilled and if you just used the stock bolts to mount them and hold them there or if you needed to purchase nuts to hold them on.

Also, how did you get the wiring in the door onto the new speaker? did you strip and solder the wires to the speaker?

Thanks in advance, I'm somewhat new to speaker installing

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey Man you were saying you installed the JBL GTO938s, can you tell me what size holes you drilled and if you just used the stock bolts to mount them and hold them there or if you needed to purchase nuts to hold them on. Also, how did you get the wiring in the door onto the new speaker? did you strip and solder the wires to the speaker? Thanks in advance, I'm somewhat new to speaker installing
Well I just used the factory 6x9 bracket and lined up as many holes as I could, then drilled into the plastic with screws in the 1 or 2 holes that didn't line up. I also ran new 16 gauge JL audio marine grade speaker wire instead of using the factory 20 gauge. You have to pop the grommet off in the door jamb or whatever you want to call it. Then fished the wire through. It's a pita but worth it. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts