Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does Nissan use on all their fasteners? Had the X on jackstands, tires removed, swaybar disconnected, removed nuts on top of strut, when we found we couldn't budge the bolts on either side. Don't have a breaker bar, but tried both a box end wrench and a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket. Even slipped a cheater pipe over the end of the ratchet/wrench. Two extra feet of leverage and wasn't able to turn it one flat. Going to have to find someone w/ air power I guess. Put plenty of Liquid Wrench on first. These bolts/nuts are clean, as are the mounts (no rust, dirt, corrosion), so there is no reason they shouldn't come off unless Nissan over torqued them or welded them on. Any other suggestions before I have to drive the thing to someone w/ impact wrench? Also, what size are these bolts? One posting said 3/4", but I thought all our fasteners were Metric. I hate fudging by using a size that will substitute, then end up rounding some corners.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
All fasteners are metric, but i'll be quite honest, I have no idea what the bolt size is.

As for getting them off. The first time I had some trouble, but they came off with my 20" breaker bar. They are torqued somewhere around the 165ft-lbs which is pretty dang tight. My guess, the robot that zipped them on was just set a little higher than that.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son can leg press at least 300#. Had a 2ft pipe over the ratchet. Using legs to push on the end of the cheater pipe should result in about 600lb/ft of torque. Must have zipped them on a bit snugger than 165lb/ft.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Those guys are the most difficult to remove.... They are a friggin biotch! Ill go to my truck and check what size they are right now. Go get a long assed breaker bar and go to work, no power tools necissary.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Okay i just checked with some of my metric sockets.... Its 19mm on both sides.... well at least mine are right now. Im pretty sure that the radflos use the same size lower mounting bolts at the OEM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts