Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I keep reading lousy things about the Bilstein 5100 Front Height Adjustable shocks concerning the top out. The Nisstec shocks are based on these, do they have the same issues?

They top out because there is not enough travel of the shock when lifted (correct?) so the extended length Radflow or TJM shocks change that, but you need new UCS's to run them right?

Looking for the front setup with the least amount of problems while on a budget. Putting an AAL on the back. I use it for light off road (old logging trails, etc) for work but mainly on road.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the Old man emu front shocks and love the ride. They give about a 11/2" lift. I have the heavy duty springs because I have the hefty fab front and rear bumpers, skid plates and winch. If you don't have any of those you can go with the standard springs.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
On the roads you mention, I wouldn't expect to have top out issues at all. I've noticed it on two primary situations - 1) going over a speed bump, where the front wheels fall off the back side of the bump. This only happens at moderate speed, not slow and not when going fast. 2) on severe whoops, when the front end is getting airborne.

In either case, it's more annoying than anything else and it can all be solved by installing some top out bump stops like a lot of ppl use when doing spacer lifts.

When driving on a bumpy dirt road, the shocks work quite well, as long as you're not playing Ricky Racer - even high end shocks would have problems with this. The more I do with the 5100's, the more I like them. I may end up with top out bump stops at some point, but it's not so nasty of a clunk that it's been a priority of mine. Of course, YRMV

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the same price as the OME setup I ended up getting TJM Extended Travel Coils, TJM Gold Rear Extended, AAL, UCL's, and other small parts! Should be here next week!

Tom

·
Registered
762 Posts
This was a major concern of mine when deciding which suspension setup to purchase. I spoke in depth with Nisstec and they explained what makes "Their" 5100's different from others. First, they use a longer length shock which helps with the bottoming out. Second, the ride issues that people experience are using pre-loaded STOCK coils, as opposed to custom tuned application specific Eibach coils. Which are hands down better then stock any day. And lastly, they are fully adjustable as opposed to the minimal amount of coil seat options on the the NON-Nisstec shocks.

I have had the Nisstec's on for about a week now and LOVE the ride. Smooth on the highway, less body roll, and Decent bump compliance. They do get a little squirrely if I hit a pot hole on the highway at speed, but I am not running FOX or King shocks so that is totally understandable. And install was pretty easy to make things a little better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts