Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I've been doing research on swapping out the front seats in my 2009 S, but I'm coming up with a lot of "should work, you may have to do this" (granted, from very experienced and knowledgeable people). I'd like to start a thread for tips from people who know the ins and outs of seat swaps from certain models (preferrably ones that are a straight "plug and play" like the X, Frontier and Pathfinder), and those who have experience with doing the swaps.

So here's my story...

Need to swap out the sad worn driver seat, and considering fold flat for the passenger. (2009 S auto 2wd)
With the height difference between me and my wife, considering power for the driver side. But it seems they are only in leather (of course, including Frontier and Pathfinder). And leather fold flats are in short supply (no matter what car-parts.com says, the pictures tell another story- the huge side brackets are obvious).
1. Is a fold flat seat worth the effort? What's the comfort difference? Is it worth it for the utility?
2. My wife and I have found no benefit with the manual knobs. Should I go Fronty knobless driver and cloth fold flat?
3. Should I go leather power for both? Maybe swap out the back as well?
4. Power leather driver, cloth fold flat passenger, and hide the difference with seat covers?

Thanks be to theNewX for their wisdom, and blessings upon the houses of all who reply...

Again, looking for people who have experience with the above questions.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There are no bolt in options out there. Whatever seat you want to swap in will involve custom fabricating the mounts/rails. That's why all you see is "should work" (but nothing does) and "go to the junkyard and take some measurements, then fab something up." This has been thoroughly discussed - as a result, there are no ins and outs. The reason you're not finding the answer you want is because there isn't anything out there (other Pathfinder, Frontier and Xterra seats) that will just bolt right in. Your research should have revealed this. I don't mean to sound rude, but not sure how else to say it.

You're asking us what we think you would want - there's no way we can answer that for you. I've never sat in a passenger seat that wasn't a fold flat, but I've jumped back and forth between the driver seat and the fold flat passenger and I can't tell any difference in comfort. And yes, the fold flat is great when camping, but that's the only time I've ever used it. To me, the amount of work it would take to install functioning power seats would not be worth it. I mean, how many times to you adjust your seat anyway? Maybe it's just me. Also, the cost of acquiring front and rear leather power seats would be insane.

What do you mean by "My wife and I have found no benefit with the manual knobs."? One is for the lumbar support, the other raises and lowers the seat bottom (also kinda tilts it). If you don't notice any difference, something is broken.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tlrtucker, I was a bit confused by your reply, then I reread my pre-coffee post and found the ambiguity. I will edit the post to clear things up.

I'm looking for the easiest option, so the identical looking seats in the Xterra, Frontier, and Pathfinder. In my 5 months of research, I found lots of replies about what should work (as far as swapping in power seats from the aforementioned models); and then I've found the other extreme- people doing cool installs of seats from other models that require serious modifications. I haven't seen any posts about people who have done straight drop ins from the sister models, but it's possible I'm using the wrong search terms.

Yes, I am asking for opinions. I'd like the front seats to match, but considering I can't find any fold flat leathers in the junkyards, I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble. That's why I'm asking for input from people who have experience with the fold flat seats- experience on passenger comfort on long drives, and how much they've utilized the feature. As for the driver's seat, considering our difference in driving position, my wife and I change the position considerably each time we swap cars. Again, that's why I'm looking for feedback.

Manual knobs- yes, they are no use to us. We keep the lumbar pegged to maximum, and the seat height only changes by about an inch (just tested again). We've owned several cars (mostly European market models) where the manual height adjustment is about 3-4 inches and we use the full range. So again, if someone has experience with the difference in height adjustment between manual and power seats, I'd like to hear from them.

Thanks again for your input, and if I'm missing any posts in my search, and you can point me to them, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so I decided to research the posts that said the regular passenger seat can move forward and fold to flush against the dash. Maury Povich's lie detector has determined this is false. There is a whole 2 feet between the back of the passenger seat and the dash (so about an 18 inch gap). I'm definitely hunting for a fold flat seat (probably from a Frontier) for now.

So, what about the driver seat? Well, I'm really thinking about trying power (only in leather). In eastern NC, it seems all the seats are going for about 100 a piece, so why not? If I don't like it, surely someone would be interested....

And yes, I plan on hiding the difference with seat covers.

Again, if anyone has experience with this endeavour, please speak up. I'm hitting the junkyards tomorrow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I went to junkyard for unrelated part and walking out saw Murano. Didn't check the year but sat down in the driver seat and found it as comfy as my Rogue seat that i can drive all day long in comfort.
Weird part was 16mm mounting bolts, never had such wrench or socket. The seat is black cloth and in excellent shape, just needed little cleaning from yard abuse. Ideally will try to find X seat in bad shape and harvest brackets. It should be easy to transfer them to new seat. The only wiring there is 2 wires for seat belt and 2 for air bag.

·
Registered
2007 X 6MT
157 Posts
You can also get heated leather seats too. I pulled some from a Pathfinder ($45) and the Nissan heater switches. Still trying to figure out wiring. I get a couple hours a month to work on the truck, so stuff takes me forever to get done.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If you guys find a combination that is easily adapted, please share the info with the rest of us.

I've been a member for four+ years and have yet to read of a feasible seat swap upgrade .

I'm not giving up faith that someone will figure something out.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Per this thread:

‘02-‘06 Altima seats are a direct swap.

The thread also noted that perhaps 350z and Maxima will fit but no further follow up was posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"‘02-‘06 Altima seats are a direct swap."
Good to know, although I think I'm going to stick with Xterra/ Frontier/ Pathfinder seats for now.

·
Registered
2007 X 6MT
157 Posts
AQl
"‘02-‘06 Altima seats are a direct swap."
Good to know, although I think I'm going to stick with Xterra/ Frontier/ Pathfinder seats for now.
Altima headrests work too, if you go to the u-pull and someone has nicked them and left the seats behind.
Pathfinder rear seat head rests do not fit our rear seats. The prongs are too far apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts