Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I like RockymtnX design but sorry $600 is too much for place to mount my surf rods on the way to the coast.

Boondox wrecked his Xterra and said he would not be making his receivers anymore.

The curt one that stick out the bottom is stupid.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Get a set of snowboard racks and mount the rods on top. That's what I did when I had my Integra. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i usually have stuff up there. I also want to be able to park at the surf and use the rod holders.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Yeah not much options besides a front hitch.

From looking at our front bumpers.. I see a ton of holes and crevices where you can actually mount a flat sturdy piece of metal from and somehow attach the pvc rod holders onto? See what I'm saying?

Some type of L-bracket that extends from the bumper ya know.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about it, but I wanted it to be fairly robust incase i want to put a hitch hauler and coolers up there.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
No choice but just bite the bullet and get an already fabbed one with a hitch.

OR you can always buy a rear hitch (cheaper) and use it from the back of your X.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I want one with the hitch the problem is finding one. I liked Boondox the best, it did not require cutting the bumper. RockyMtnX wants $575 plus $95 for powdercoating, plus $85 shipping. So total cost is closer to $800!

Boondox says he is not making them anymore since he wrecked.....not sure why. Maybe he was building each one from scratch and using his truck as a template?

I've got a friend that is a great welder and if I had a set of plans to hand him I could get one. He is so busy, he doen't have time to mock one up from scratch.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Have you asked if RockyMtnX would sell you the plans? Not sure if they would or not but if they did, you can take the plans to a local metal/weld shop and they could do it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The only bumper option that I have found that sells both a winch and receiver mount would be a TAG bumper. They offer 3 bumpers. Just a winch mount, just a receiver mount, and both a winch and receiver mount. They offer quite a bit of grill guards, etc. So for the price of the RockyMtnX bumper you could get a full fledged bumper if you decided to go that route. I am in the same boat as you. I want to be able to use a front receiver surf pole rack for when I go surf fishing.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Boondox wrecked his Xterra and said he would not be making his receivers anymore.
I know I want one with the hitch the problem is finding one. I liked Boondox the best, it did not require cutting the bumper. RockyMtnX wants $575 plus $95 for powdercoating, plus $85 shipping. So total cost is closer to $800!

Boondox says he is not making them anymore since he wrecked.....not sure why. Maybe he was building each one from scratch and using his truck as a template?
Wait, Boondox wrecked his second xterra? What happened? :confused:

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Snowboard rack and sand spikes. Problem solved. 2' sand spikes will fit in the roof box too. Get the rack off eBay used and you can have it all for less than $100

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Again, that won't work for me. I have a kayak on the roof and other items. I would like to be able to put a cooler up front since the rear hitch is in use towing. I never have luck with those sand spikes.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Again, that won't work for me. I have a kayak on the roof and other items. I would like to be able to put a cooler up front since the rear hitch is in use towing. I never have luck with those sand spikes.
im with you. a surf pole rack where you can put 6 to 12 rods plus a cooler up front is more convenient. i already have a yakima snowboard rack and sand spikes. the snowboard rack is nice but it sits more in my garage then on my X. it is just not that convenient to keep throwing the rods in the rack when you wish to move from spot to spot.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
A rear hitch rack? Mount pole holders on sides and cooler will fit. I too wanted a front receiver for the same purpose but the options are limited / way pricey for the X

1 - 20 of 30 Posts