Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard things bout these 3 not being all the way full, I am not the type to change my own oil, mainly because the quickchage place does it of $14.99 with a car wash...but I am concerned with the fluid level and the fact that my x sat on the lot for a year before i got it(it was hidden in a back lot still wrapped in her purty white plastic) should I be concerned? the truck has just under 3000 miles on it, I already had the oil changed becase i was concerned about it sitting on the lot for so long... second part of the q is, is the front rear and tc somthing i can accomplish with basic tools and know how, or am i better off taking it to a shop, or does some one in new england wanna hold a "fluid party"(get your minds out of the gutter) and teach me how to change said fluids...let me know???? mtdewmike?!?! i know your near by...

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i had a shop change mine since i had it in there to fix something anyways, they said the levels were what they should be....i also supplied them with all the fluids needed except tranny fluid since i wanted amsoil in the diffs.

·
on line
145 Posts
It's definitely something you can do yourself. It's a good way to start getting to know your X intimately.
I don't have 3k yet so I haven't seen exactly what tools I'll need but I know it will be either a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet with maybe a short extension. Other than that you'll just need a drain pan, filter, and fluids.

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don’t get me wrong I have tools, and I do allot of work on the x myself, most of it is under the hood(air intake, wiring up lights) and not with the drive-line... when I was living in Fl I would just go ask my father to help me, but he’s now 1500 miles away...it was always nice to consult with a ASE Master Mechanic with 35 years experience.... even though his specialty was Fire Apparatus he always knew how to do so much more... I miss using his tools, but hey nothing a few trips to sears cant fix, I already have a 250pc mechanic set from craftsman, and when I get a house my father said I can have one of his big boxes (when he retired, he broke 3 hydraulic lifts trying to get one of the 3 tool boxes he has home, now the snap-on and matco guys stop by the house to see if he needs anything wile he restores old cars) I am just looking for someone to guide me, I can read how to till i go blind, but its always better to work on somthing with someone who has done it before. I guess I am looking for a mod day in new england, Ill help anyone with lights, audio, and wires...but i need help with the drive line...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts