Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to paint my front and rear bumpers with just basic black bed liner and I was wondering, do I have to pre-sand down the bumpers beforehand? I've never used bed liner before let alone paint anything on my vehicles. I would just love to know the do's and don't when it comes to panting plastics on an Xterra.

Thanks a ton!
J

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to paint my front and rear bumpers with just basic black bed liner and I was wondering, do I have to pre-sand down the bumpers beforehand? I've never used bed liner before let alone paint anything on my vehicles. I would just love to know the do's and don't when it comes to panting plastics on an Xterra.

Thanks a ton!
J
Yes you definitely want to sand it down. I just did my front bumper two weeks ago with black bed liner, I took it all the way down just to the connected bumper combo on the front and sanded it with a medium coarse sand paper to get all the built up gunk off of it, and then I wiped it down with some wipes and used a hose to get all the plastic powder off.

I’ve bedlined other parts about three years ago (grill, rear steps, bumper) and they have stuck nicely. It will be kinda rough at first and if you touch it it will mark up easily, but as you drive it will smooth the bed lining out and it will become more flat and it won’t mark easily.

I definitely recommend it if anyone is wanting a black paint that’s outdoors and off-road durable!

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
802 Posts
Yes you definitely want to sand it down. I just did my front bumper two weeks ago with black bed liner, I took it all the way down just to the connected bumper combo on the front and sanded it with a medium coarse sand paper to get all the built up gunk off of it, and then I wiped it down with some wipes and used a hose to get all the plastic powder off.

I’ve bedlined other parts about three years ago (grill, rear steps, bumper) and they have stuck nicely. It will be kinda rough at first and if you touch it it will mark up easily, but as you drive it will smooth the bed lining out and it will become more flat and it won’t mark easily.

I definitely recommend it if anyone is wanting a black paint that’s outdoors and off-road durable!
would love to see some paint results ))) I am too inneed to paint my soon lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently bed lined my front/rear bumpers, grill, rear plastics and side moldings. Went with Plasti Dip on the badges. Used Dupli-Color spray on truck bed coating and gave everything a light scuff with 180 grit and cleaned with a wax and grease remover. I attached a spray gun to the can which really helped me control the spray and apply even coats. I'm super happy with how it turned out, here's a few pics. (Driveway pics taken 3 weeks after applying)

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
802 Posts
That's looks pretty awesome what paint did you use ? Mind giving Amazon link?
And man those rims are so cool I really like the look of those pro4x rims

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
802 Posts
Thank you for the link ! may I ask you how many cans did you endup using for both front and back ?

·
Registered
2015 Auto PRO 4X
44 Posts
Hey guys dont mean to hijack the thread but how hard is it to take the rear bumpers off? or you just tape around it before sanding primering and painting? Im guessing its a lot easier to remove it from the rig before prep work :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hey guys dont mean to hijack the thread but how hard is it to take the rear bumpers off? or you just tape around it before sanding primering and painting? Im guessing its a lot easier to remove it from the rig before prep work :D
With two people its easy to take off if you don't have a hitch. It's easy to tape off and paint in place as well.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
If you have older year, there may be corrosion binding the bolts. You will need a 15+ inch breaker bar or impact wrench, something that takes seconds standing up under a car, but can be a struggle at home without right tools.
17mm and 19mm deep impact sockets. Watch for falling dust. Take off spare first.

When putting bolts back in, go by hand as far as possible. It’s very easy to strip them and you won’t find new OEM ones.

·
Registered
2015 Auto PRO 4X
44 Posts
If you have older year, there may be corrosion binding the bolts. You will need a 15+ inch breaker bar or impact wrench, something that takes seconds standing up under a car, but can be a struggle at home without right tools.
17mm and 19mm deep impact sockets. Watch for falling dust. Take off spare first.

When putting bolts back in, go by hand as far as possible. It’s very easy to strip them and you won’t find new OEM ones.
Thanks bud. Im going to check my bolts, theres always pb blastewr, soak em overnight might help in case its rusted

·
Registered
2015 Auto PRO 4X
44 Posts
With two people its easy to take off if you don't have a hitch. It's easy to tape off and paint in place as well.
Thanks. I might go that taping route, I have a hitch that I might just shoot with bumper black or plasticote all together with the bumper. I just want it in all black then Ill work on the front grille and lower rock guard , might get those powder coated since black is cheap anyways. Does the plastic top on the bumpers just pops off?

Hey we have the same color and year model X lol

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Im planning to paint my rear bumper and maybe trailer hitch sometime soon here this spring. i'd like to remove it so that i can do a really good job sanding and removing rust from both the outside and inside. I recently looked under/ behind the rear bumper and it is more rusty than it appears from the outside.

my hitch is also getting pretty rusty and the paint is flaking off. Im considering just removing it outright but then i wont really have any rear recovery points, I may end up installing some of the ones that poke through the bumper.

or i can sand/ remove rust and repaint the hitch to put it back on, but I rarely use it and it does detract from departure angle, plus, I hit my shins on it all the time! I think it may get removed temporarily to see how i like it.

there is this paint color called anvil grey, it looks pretty darn close to the factory bumper grey so i may try that, with some good rust preventing primer underneath.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Thanks. I might go that taping route, I have a hitch that I might just shoot with bumper black or plasticote all together with the bumper. I just want it in all black then Ill work on the front grille and lower rock guard , might get those powder coated since black is cheap anyways. Does the plastic top on the bumpers just pops off?

Hey we have the same color and year model X lol
yeah the plastic top on the bumper just pops up/ off, just be careful not to crack or break anything.

·
Registered
2015 Auto PRO 4X
44 Posts
Im planning to paint my rear bumper and maybe trailer hitch sometime soon here this spring. i'd like to remove it so that i can do a really good job sanding and removing rust from both the outside and inside. I recently looked under/ behind the rear bumper and it is more rusty than it appears from the outside.

my hitch is also getting pretty rusty and the paint is flaking off. Im considering just removing it outright but then i wont really have any rear recovery points, I may end up installing some of the ones that poke through the bumper.

or i can sand/ remove rust and repaint the hitch to put it back on, but I rarely use it and it does detract from departure angle, plus, I hit my shins on it all the time! I think it may get removed temporarily to see how i like it.

there is this paint color called anvil grey, it looks pretty darn close to the factory bumper grey so i may try that, with some good rust preventing primer underneath.
I wonder if the hitch mount can be adjusted to move back, Im always careful not to hit my shin on it too lol. Cant take mines off cause Im towing a boat

1 - 20 of 26 Posts