Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

So I was at Boulder Nissan a while back to get some transmission codes read. The service writer said the tech said that I need the timing chain done. I'm at 66k miles, so I was pretty surprised, but I guess it needs to be done.

I was wondering if you guys had a recommendation for a shop on the Front Range to get the work done? Dealer quoted me $1500, but who knows how much it will total to once they're done replacing all the little stuff they invariably decide needs to be replaced.

It would be great if I could save a few hundred, there are a lot of other things I would prefer to be doing to my new Truck haha.

Thanks for any recommendations!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
There are ton of great write ups here. You can get all the parts I would say for around $300? I haven't fully priced it out yet, but like I said, do a search on the topic and you will find threads with detailed parts lists, and step by step instructions. Could probably bang it out in a day if you start early.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The timing needs to be changed at 66k miles?? Usually those last around 100k plus

·
Registered
712 Posts
Look around on here for similar posts. If you don't hear the supercharger-like wine, I wouldn't bother with replacing them yet. They may need to be done or they may not but the rule of thumb is once you begin hearing them that is when you should plan to change them in the next couple thousand miles. For what its worth, mine started around 90k miles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys!

I definitely have the supercharger whine, and like I said the tech at the dealer said it is the timing chain. I'm really not to keen on opening her up and doing it myself since I don't have a garage, or even a driveway for that matter. I park my Xterra on the street.

·
Registered
389 Posts

I definitely have the supercharger whine, and like I said the tech at the dealer said it is the timing chain. I'm really not to keen on opening her up and doing it myself since I don't have a garage, or even a driveway for that matter. I park my Xterra on the street.
I got 2 quotes in the springs. One at 2200 and one at 1900. I had to talk them down to 1500 at woodmen Nissan. He emailed me a parts list and breakdown of all services being conducted. Took them a day and a half to do my rig but they quoted one day. I've done the vg33 and vg30 timing belts but I didn't want to mess with this motor. The service went over the 4 day weekend for me and they gave me a loaner Frontier for the duration. Definitely worth it for me to pay for the job and have it done right without disabling my daily driver during the work week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts

Also my rig was at 120k miles and the chain noise was louder than my exhaust lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just dropped mine off at Boulder Nissan. I was quoted $1500, but they're taking some off because I brought in my own oil and filter.

What bothered me most is that they only offer a 1 year/ 12k mile warranty? I assumed for this kind of thing it would reach out further. If the timing chain noise comes back anytime in the next 100k I'll be pretty disappointed.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just dropped mine off at Boulder Nissan. I was quoted $1500, but they're taking some off because I brought in my own oil and filter.

What bothered me most is that they only offer a 1 year/ 12k mile warranty? I assumed for this kind of thing it would reach out further. If the timing chain noise comes back anytime in the next 100k I'll be pretty disappointed.
If I was spending that much I would see how much more to install and new oil pump being you are right there and labor would be not much more if any.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts