Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have your factory front mud flaps On or Off?
If they are off, why did you take them off?

Note that I'm only referring to the FRONT mud flaps.

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have an Off Road X. I took all my mud flaps off quite a while ago, although not before breaking both rear mud flaps (one the day I bought the X, the other about a month later). I recently had Shrockworks sliders installed.

I do get "quite a bit" of road debris on the lower sides of my X (e.g. from the plastic side trim strip down), and that's just from city driving.

Today I put my front mud flaps back on. I'm going to leave them a while to see how much difference it makes.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
mine are on but as soon as I hit the trails they will be off. I am still waiting for that day.........

I think the reason most people take theres off is if they go wheelin and they mud flaps are on they will be off by the end of the trip whether you wanted them off or not and taking all 4 off matches.

It's your X I say do what ever you want :geek:

·
on line
2,077 Posts
def. take them off if you're leaving pavement, you'll surely tear them off quickly....if you're sticking to roads it's your choice

edit, i totally didn't realize you made the first and second post......my bad, lol

·
on line
3,262 Posts
mine have been off since day one... If i would never go off road then they would probably stay on, just because of all the crap that the tires kick up on the rocker pannels, but i would have probaby painted them or something. Usually i dont like the look of mud flaps unless they are the same color of the vehicle

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
willgr1 said:
def. take them off if you're leaving pavement, you'll surely tear them off quickly
I know that's true for the REAR mud flaps, but I haven't seen people reporting that they have torn off or otherwise damaged their FRONT mud flaps.

·
on line
152 Posts
i took off my rear ones since i almost ripped them off the first week i had them too.

however im keeping the front ones on to protect the paint from stones and other crap... i think it would be pretty hard to rip off the fronts ones

·
on line
152 Posts
and my aviator picture is from the first week i had it so the rear mudflaps and step rails are still on it... thats the day i almost ripped off the rear one

when that picture was taken the back *left mudflap was touching the ground

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Yeah, tore my front mud flaps all to heck off road before I smartened up and axed 'em. When you really get around rocks and steep drop-offs, everything that's hanging down hits. And this is obviously true even if you only take the X off road from time to time.

But as others have said, if you're staying on road, why not keep them?

·
on line
551 Posts
I took them off shortly after the blizzards. Filled up with slush and road crap and then melted on the garage floor. I had them on for a month before taking them off and really don't see much difference dirt wise between on and off.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
I dont do much off roading and if i do it's mainly beach driving. I took all the mudflaps off about 2 months ago cause during the winter i tore one off in the snow. So the other 3 came off to match. I have not noticed much debris on my rockers (no sliders or anything) from 99% highway driving. I did notice a lot of dirt and twigs jammed in the mudflaps when i removed them.

·
on line
2,902 Posts
I like the rubber universal flaps.... I wonder how hard that would be to fit??? That to me seems the way to go....

·
on line
79 Posts
im thinking about going the way of leaving the front ones on. could anyone post a picture of their X with the back ones off and front left on?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
No doubt the rubber flaps are a great option. And not that I've tried, but how hard could it be to make them fit? Even if you had to drill a little hole or two in the plastic.

But for offroad use, you'll eventually tear them up and tear them off. And the truck looks clean without any flaps at all.

·
on line
631 Posts
mine are off. with the rears off, and the fronts on i think it would look funny. that... and i hate mud flaps/guards. just not my style

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pavementSucks said:
im thinking about going the way of leaving the front ones on. could anyone post a picture of their X with the back ones off and front left on?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Magic Rat said:
I took them off shortly after the blizzards. Filled up with slush and road crap and then melted on the garage floor. I had them on for a month before taking them off and really don't see much difference dirt wise between on and off.
I kick mine to knock that junk off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts