Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinkind about ordering a 2" front mounted Curt Mfg receiver hitch for my 2006 X. I use my X for towng my skiff ( I have factory rear hitch)and fishing from the beach. With a front mounted hitch I can add a rod and cooler rack. Having a front mounted hitch gives me lots of vendor options and I can swap out the rod/cooler for a bike rack etc. This arrangement allows for the flexibilty of cooler rack on front and bikes on the back.

I am worried about this mod making oil changes harder and having the mod look professional.

Anyone out there have experience with a front mounted hitch? Pictures? Other things I should think about?

Thanks for the help and for this great website.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I don't know of anyone installing a front mounted hitch. I also don't know of any companies that make a direct bolt on kit. Depending on how the kit bolts on, it might make it harder to get to the oil filter, but I doubt it.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the web, Curt Manfacturing (part # 31514) offers a "no drill" direct bolt on front mounted hitch($130). It attachs to the frame using the threaded holes where the tow hook is on the passenger side, plus a third bolt going through an existing hole in the frame rail. The same holes are available on the drivers side as well. You must remove the tow hook to install the hitch.

Thanks for responding

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That's some cool info. Not that I need or want or could even attache a front hitch now, it's good info for anyone that might be looking for one.

If you do it, let us know how it goes and take some pics.

·
on line
200 Posts
I must be blind, but i do not see that number listed on their site. Only have listing for rear hitch.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the Curt Mfg website look under "News" for Marketing Bulletin #607. This is a new product.

After checking it out, what's your opinion?

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I found this Pic:

Can't say I know anyhting about it but it sounds like a good product for fishing on the beach. It would kill your approach angle for wheeling....

·
on line
295 Posts
Wouldn't this advsesely effect approach angle? Get banged up wheeling?
Other than that it's cool cause my MT doesn't like to push my tent trailer uphill backwards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts