Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I will be putting on my 1/2" front spacer in a few days and have a simple (probably dumb) question. What is the EASIEST way to do this? Since it is slipping on the stock bolts on the strut do I have to remove the lower shock mount and more important do I have to seperate the UCA from the spindle? I didn't know if the strut assembly would drop enough to get the spacer on without removing those things.

Thanks for the help... :drink:

*update*. Wanted to thank you guys but I did NOT have to remove the UCA bolt from the spindle. Did the whole instal in less than an hour. Just helping out anyone who is doing this in the future. Perfectly level with no lift now.

-

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
are you putting the half inch spacer on top of the stock coil? if so, I am not sure that will work as those bolts (which are attached) might not be long enough to reach through the spacer and the coilbucket

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
ok so I don't need to seperate the ball joint. GOOD, wasn't looking forward to that part. Thank you for your help!
You WILL need to separate the UCA. It's very easy. Loosen the nut, but don't fully remove it, then take a BFH and hit the spindle, near where the ball joint stud goes into the spindle. Hit that spindle HARD, (taking care to not hit the ball joint itself or the UCA), and it will pop right loose. It's really, really easy to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are you putting the half inch spacer on top of the stock coil? if so, I am not sure that will work as those bolts (which are attached) might not be long enough to reach through the spacer and the coilbucket
The PRG website says it will fit on the stock bolts but it is the bigest spacer i can put on the stock studs which is fine with me. HERE

You WILL need to separate the UCA. It's very easy. Loosen the nut, but don't fully remove it, then take a BFH and hit the spindle, near where the ball joint stud goes into the spindle. Hit that spindle HARD, (taking care to not hit the ball joint itself or the UCA), and it will pop right loose. It's really, really easy to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
ok so i DO have to remove it and use a BFH ... got it

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
worst case scenario you might need to seperate the BJ to be able to slide the whole shock assembly back into place, it all depends on the spacers your adding

·
Registered
49 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device

If found it easiest to take the ball joint nut all the way off first, and then thread it back on before I smacked the spindle loose.

When I did this on my 2010, I first just loosened the nut up almost all the way, and then when I broke the spindle loose the stud just rotated, not letting me get the nut off. The threads were just too gunked up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks guys. For anyone who installs this in the future...I actually had to rotate the sway bar out of the way and remove the lower shock bolt. With the three nuts on the top of shock undone, and the arms at full sag, the shock assembly was too long to get out. The UCA made contact with the coil bucket and wouldn't allow it to go low enough. I don't know if it is because mine is a Pro-4x and the shocks are actually longer the standard shocks? Anyways, still a simple install and I like the difference in appearance it made. Will post pics soon!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Reviving an old thread to hopefully be able to help someone adding these spacers in the future...
I installed them yesterday and had to do exactly the same thing erzipperer did in the post above. I have an S, not a Pro-4X and still needed to remove the lower strut assembly bolt. That made the installation super easy and doesn't require messing with the upper ball joint. In my opinion, that was $34 well spent. That 1/2" lift up front makes a big difference in appearance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts