Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Off Road just passed the 104k mile mark and I noticed recently that the front hubs are not disengaging after going from to 4wd to 2wd. At least that's what I think it is. There is a lot more drag and at highway speeds it is quite loud. 4WD is definitely disengaging and I have tried backing up to disengage as well. Has this happened to anyone else and what do you all recommend? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It's not your hubs, that's for sure. Our hubs don't lock/unlock - they're always engaged. Going from 2wd to 4wd is entirely a function of the transfer case.

Get a buddy, find some loose dirt, put your X in 2wd and hit the gas. Have your buddy watching to see if either of the front tires spins. If so, you are still in 4wd. If not, then you are good to go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front tires definitely do not spin. I checked that on a snow covered road today. Maybe one of the calipers is stuck then?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That could certainly be creating some extra drag. Given your symptoms, I'd definitely check the brake system thoroughly.

·
on line
5 Posts
Curious what this turned out to be. My 06 is doing the same. I know it is time for front brakes and those could be dragging a bit. I hear and feel a vibration starting at about 45mph which decreases by about 60mph. This just started recently. Sounds and feels like a u joint.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Curious what this turned out to be. My 06 is doing the same. I know it is time for front brakes and those could be dragging a bit. I hear and feel a vibration starting at about 45mph which decreases by about 60mph. This just started recently. Sounds and feels like a u joint.
get under and push up on the front driveshaft. there should be little to no play in it, if it has much play, as it spins up on the road it will be slightly off center and vibrate.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Strizzo, that's not always true. Mine had no play or visible signs of wear. Only vibes and clicking. But they were definitely trashed. Just fyi.

·
on line
5 Posts
I need to check the front joints. I didn't realize that the front end didn't unlock the hubs when I first started looking at this. I noticed the drive shaft spinning while checking the brakes a couple of days ago. I looked here and found that the hubs do not disengage on the xterra.

With the bad bearing, could you feel any play at the tire itself? I may have a bad bearing as well. I do not hear or feel anything unusual spinning the tire with the truck on a jack though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed the problem before the bearing actually went. When it went, the truck was pulling to one side. Jacking the tire up off the ground it was quite evident that there was a lot of play in the wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts