Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 06x I have the AC Coil Overs and Rancho 9k Shocks. Ive searched the forum and havnt found anything yet exactly like this.

I have isolated the squeak to the driver side front tire area. so I know its not my hood. I adjust the hood a few times hoping it would be it. but its not. I can hear the squeek when I go over any bump in the road. When i jump up and down on my slider I can hear it. I have not gotten help from anyone yet help me diagnose exactly where its comming from (they jump while I have my head in the wheel well)...since the truck is a sealed system. what could be squeekin'? the bushings on the control arms? Normally I would just start pumpin grease in all the Zerk fittings.

Im planning on tearin it down tonight so any advice on what is squeeking and how to remedy it would be helpfull.

thanks!

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im gonna try this as well.....

For the cure on the squeak, Take off the Stabilizer bar bushings and swap em out with polyurethane at Autozone. I think it's the 1 and 1/4 bushing. You can also test my theory by just lubing them with Anti Seize or silicone or some other rubber safe lubricant (synthetic grease?) Put them back on, drive no squeak huh! Told ya! 20 min job. But the urethane will solve the problem totally. The right lube will last a long long time also. Can't recall the torque on re install Dan posted in his AC Lift post I think 20 Ft Lbs, but stick to that or you'll squish out the bushings.
Let everyone know that it worked.
MC

·
on line
423 Posts
just adjusting the hood stops won't fix a hood squeak. pound on the hood just to the side of a stop and listen closely. that is unless you absolutely know it is not the hood.

good luck.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
If it isnt the hood squeak, id check where your cam bolts are in the front of the lower control arms. If you offroad , hard.....you could have smash the steal there into the lca. I did it to mine on some big ass rocks at ecxc and had to take it apart to bend it back into place. Just something to look at.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
This may or may not be it but on my Xterra I use to have a squeak on my drivers side but it was also accompanied by a clunck and it ended up being the sway bar shifting to the passengers side which caused my lower control arm to come in contact with the sway bar. To check this just place your fingers between the sway bar and the lower control arm and double check that the drivers side and passengers side feel about the same distance away.

·
on line
971 Posts
I have it also, but it seems like the mine is more of a chatter (sort of like teeth chattering, but not quite).

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it does sound like a chatter / squeek. and its definatly NOT the hood.

I put it on the lift and started tearing it appart. first thing I noticed is that the tirod that mounts the sway bar to the LCA is rubbing agianst my lower mount on my shock. There is def a metal on metal contact because its a smooth flat spot on both curved surfaces of the shock and the tie rod.

2nd. I thought to myself, why is it doing this. found out that i apparently hit the swaybar or mount where it he sway bar mounts to the frame and its bent on a angle now. Not much, but apparently its enoght to throw the swaybar out of alligntment and it pushes my tirod into the shock mount.

I did grease the bushing with white lithum grease.. I would of replaced them with poly, but Advance does not carry them. or atleast the advance auto that I went to.

I also tried to beat out the mount back to its original location iwht my BFH (large adjustment tool) but apparnetly I didnt get enough on it because it still squeeks. Im gonna tri to put a torch on it this weekend to try to move the mount all the way back to original location. If that doesnt work, I could try to shim out the back side of the mount back to original location or remove the front sway bar all togeher..... any thoughts? does anyone not run their front sway bar?

·
on line
612 Posts
There's a bunch of people not running it. Mine is still stock however so I'm just speaking from my readings on this wonderful site.

·
on line
735 Posts
I never had the hood or hatch squeak, but the weird one I DID have was the brake pedal rattling in it's pivot when your foot wasn't on it. It actually squeaked and squealed at a high pitch. Sort of like a rattle and a mouse noise at the same time..the resonance made it sound like it was in the dash, but it was the pedal.

I get the window clunk when it rolls up, but nothing else for the past 2 years.

·
on line
28 Posts
is the squeak sound a known problem? mine only has 24k miles on it and not mod. I can hear the squeaking sound when i have my window up and driving on bumpy road below 40mph. on the highway and smooth road are ok.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, I tried to beat out the mount. no dice.
Tried to heat it up with a propane torch. No dice.
dont have an oxy accetaline torch to heat it up properly so I removed the sway bar. Now I have no squeeks.

It seams to drive fine without the swaybar. no issues yet.

·
on line
26 Posts
I had My drivers side leaf spring replace because of a really loud squeak. thought it was my hood but it would start just driving at 5 mph in a parking lot. so i jump in the rear and isolated it to the bushing in the spring. dealer replaced it no questions asked.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, my squeek is still with me. Think Im gonna have to take it to a dealer and see if they will do that for me.

If not, the next step is to tear down the front end, and grease the existing bushings. If not see if I can find a replacement poly pushing for stock Control arms. Last resort will be to replace with an aftermaket controll arm like Total Chaos.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, Tore it all down, and re assmbled it . 2 of the three bolts that conect the coil over to the bucket were a little loose... its been a week and a half now, and no squeeks yet. Guess it was those 2 bolts or a combination of those and another bolt or so on the whole assembly.

·
on line
616 Posts
Just a quick hint for those of you trying to diagnose a hood squeak:

Drive down a road that produces the squeak. Stop and pop the hood release so the hood pops up slightly. Drive again down the same stretch of road. If the squeak is gone, its the hood latch.

To fix the squeak, clean the lube off the hood latch mechanism and the bracket attached to the hood itself. Then re-grease with a high quality moly lube. Retest for the squeak.

-Old Army

·
on line
191 Posts
Here's a quick hood squeak solution that I did on the road one day far from home (I didn't think I would be sane by the time I got home if I couldn't make it stop!). Take two small felt adhesive furniture pads (Like you would put on the bottom of a chair leg) and stick one of them on the bottom of each of the rubber bump stops at the corners of the hood; $1.50 and a month later and no more squeak! Good luck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts