Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems getting the front end aligned after putting on a coil-over on the front of your X. I have taken mine to 2 different shops and it seems neither are competent enough to make it right. I installed a PRG coilover in the front and a Deaver mini pack in the rear with PRG shackles. The truck looks much better now but the front wheels are out of line. The problem I am having is the bottom of the front two tires lean into the middle of the truck causing the wheels to ride on the outside of the tread. This is visibly noticeable from the front of the vehicle. Neither shop I have been two seem to know what the hell they are doing or what needs to be done to solve this issue. If their computer doesnt tell them what to do they have no answers. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Yeah like muzik said its probably a cam bolt issue..... but when i had mine aligned after my first small lift and they couldnt get it aligned... they told me why they couldnt get it into spec. (cam bolts), If they didnt say anything to you then you might want to go somewhere else.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
^^^ Good point. If they don't know that there should be cam bolts to adjust the camber (which is the problem you are having), then they probably don't know all that much about alignments. :)

The reason I asked about the UCA as some folks have said they had issues getting the Total Chaos UCA's aligned, but it doesn't seem to be that big of an issue based on the response to Mark's thread.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
I would definitely go with mcampana's suggestion with firestone. I went there and got the lifetime alignment, that is definitely a great thing to have if you plan on wheeling with your X.

·
on line
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have stock UCA's and have looked at the cam bolts in the past 15 minutes. The factory installed cam bolts are adjustable on my X so should i still replace them. I have read other discussions in this forum and some X's are adjustable and some are not. Also I noticed the driver side camber bolt on both the front and back are adjusted towards the center of the car. The passenger are adjusted towards the outside. Thanks for the input and I might try the Firstone I just don't want to go to a 3rd shop and have the same results.

·
on line
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a slight trust issue with Firestone. I had a puncture on one of my Revo's towards the outer edge of the tread. I took it there to get repaired. Dropped the vehicle off and came back 2 hours later. They wouldnt fix it and gave me a quote for replacing all 4 tires. The tires only had 28,000 miles on them and the quote was 300 more than the set I had on for the same tire. I took the tire home and plugged it myself. Over 10,000 miles later and still no issues with the repair. I was very dissapointed with that particular visit.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
That sux to hear about Firestone. For me being in the military and moving just about everywhere in the US, Firestone is the best bet for me, they are usually on every military installation as far as I know, so I can rely on them for this.

·
on line
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The two stores I have already taken it to is Goodyear and Tire's plus.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
AVOID GOODYEAR LIKE THE PLAGUE! I have never been so ripped off as I was by Goodyear.

I use to work within walking distance of a Goodyear and everyone in the office used them because it was easy to drop the car off in the morning and walk about to pick it up after work.

First I got tires there. Cost me $100 more for what turned out to be lesser quality tires than I got at the local tire shop that I would always go to (EW Tire).

Then came time for inspection. At the time I was working an average of 65 hours a week, so doing anything on the car myself was out of the question. They tell me I need brakes (which I am sure I did), new motor mount, and some other stuff. I told them to go ahead and do the work.

I go to pick it up and it doesn't have the new sticker on it. They tell me they did all the work, but the motor mount. They said that they couldn't get the part from the dealer and that I should take it to the dealer to have it changed. Once I did to bring it back and they would put the sticker on. So I pay them something like $350 for basically brakes.

I take it to the dealer and here the bone heads tried to remove the old motor mount and broke it. The dealer basically told me that someone had screwed with it and that they were going to have to cut the support frame, weld in a new piece and then box the frame back up. At a cost of $300. They said that who ever screwed with it had left it alone that it would have been a $75 job. I think he was saying this becuase I think he thought I was the one screwing with it.

So I go back to Goodyear to get my sticker and talk to the manager about the motor mount that just went from a $75 repair to a $300 repair. Here, he tells me that yeah they tried to get the mount off but couldn't. And after a rather heated discussion, I walked out of there with nothing but my sticker.

I never went to another Goodyear and suggested all my co-workers find someplace else to take their car. Most did, some did not.

Sorry for the long winded story...it just irks me every time I hear the name Goodyear.

The old BP Pro Care centers were just as bad, if not worse. But that story is for another time.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
by the way, firestone has the lifetime alignment for $129 right now instead of the normal $149! They did try to sell me new tires w/ it though.

·
on line
68 Posts
Why don't you just take it to a Nissan dealership? If it needs cam bolts, they will tell you. They can also provide the cam bolts and even install them if you wish.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
mcampana said:
Delta! Great new avatar!
thanks! found it the other night. that clown always freaked me out...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
d1978k said:
Why don't you just take it to a Nissan dealership? If it needs cam bolts, they will tell you. They can also provide the cam bolts and even install them if you wish.
Because Nissan will charge you $300+ for an alignment and cam bolts.

·
on line
91 Posts
and nissan will take three tries to get it right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts