Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a vibration at highway speed. Talked to the dealer and they said they have been replacing a ton of Xterra and Frontier front driveshaft u-joints lately. Looked underneath and yup, one of mine is bad. Its a factory Spicer joint. I was going to replace it with a greaseable one so maybe it doesn't go bad as fast. Anybody else doing this too?

·
on line
735 Posts
I hadn't heard of it, but then again, it hardly ever rains here. A greasable replacement would be better at excluding contaminents.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just pulled the front driveshaft. HOLY CRAP those nuts are on tight! One cap was dry as a bone and all rusty. Needles were still good, but the joint was obviously bad. Took her out on the highway and touched 90 with no front driveshaft and vibration is gone. WHOO HOO! At least its nothing severe.

I'll call the local driveshaft tomorrow and have him get me either some Spicer or Neapco greasable joints (assuming they make them in this size) and post up part numbers.

Warranty? Not at 55,000 miles.

PICS:
driveshaft (or at least one end of it)

end of driveshaft (no caps in the u-joints)

you guess which one went bad!

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this is goddamn great. The dealer says one u-joint is serviceable and the other is "non-serviceable", as in I need to buy a whole new driveshaft! WTF?

Parts store across the road has no listings for my application. Driveshaft store is closed until Thursday. Grrrr...........

You guys get ready for this one. Blow a u-joint and you need to buy a whole new driveshafts. This is so wrong!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Pull out the u-joint and toss the dial calipers on it. I am sure it's a standard size, just need to know what size.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't "blow" a u-joint, read above and look at the pics. It ran out of grease, got loose, and was causing a vibration. Hardly a big deal, or so I thought..........

I just spent 1/2 hour at the parts store measuring it - Precision brand u-joint offers nothing.

This battle isn't over yet. I'll figure something out when my driveshaft guy gets back in town Wednesday. He can get Spicer and Neapco. Until then, I'm pissed.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
What are the measurements? You need the cross dimensions (both ways) and the cap diameter (measure all 4 caps as some u-joints use two different cap sizes).

Also, not that it will matter in our vehicles, but I a fan of sealed u-joints over serviceable one. The reason being strength. Solid u-joints are obviously stronger.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that solids are stronger, but for what I use this vehicle for, the greaseables are better. Had they been factory greaseable, this failure likely would not have occurred. I use the solid ones in my big truck (don't criticize yet, its still not done) - 8 of them total.

Anyway..............

3.225 (+/- .005 depending on how hard you squeeze) to outside of caps
2.935 to outside of cross with no caps
1.060 cap OD

Both u-joints are identical as far as I can see! I also found a cap that was much worse than the other dry one once I separated the u-joints from the yokes. You can see this yoke has 3/4 legs very dry and corroding. And the cap........well, I've seen worse but this is getting there for sure.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
knaffie said:
I didn't "blow" a u-joint, read above and look at the pics. It ran out of grease, got loose, and was causing a vibration. Hardly a big deal, or so I thought..........

I just spent 1/2 hour at the parts store measuring it - Precision brand u-joint offers nothing.

This battle isn't over yet. I'll figure something out when my driveshaft guy gets back in town Wednesday. He can get Spicer and Neapco. Until then, I'm pissed.
I just replaced a u-joint for my drive shaft myself. I went to NAPA and picked up a greaseable u-joint for $12. You'll need a u-joint/ball joint removal tool. Don't have one? Just go to Auto Zone and borrow theirs.

Often times it's easier to make the repairs yourself instead on playing the "take it in for warranty" card.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well that's great to know Napa has them. I'll stop there tomorrow. I tried 3 parts stores today, and none of them have a listing for it. Thanks for the heads up.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
knaffie said:
Well that's great to know Napa has them. I'll stop there tomorrow. I tried 3 parts stores today, and none of them have a listing for it. Thanks for the heads up.
Umm, you have to remember that Steve does not have stock drive shafts.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts