Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

This is my first post, I hope this is the right board! If not, let me know and I'll move it to the appropriate place. Just got my first Xterra and I'm hooked. 07 model and man this thing does everything I could ever ask.

Unfortunately when I bought it, the driver side speaker didn't work. I'm just getting into DIY repairs so I don't really know what to check. Back driver side speaker works fine, so it's not that I have the ballance set wrong. I also don't think it's blown out, since the front speaker is completely silent. All the other speakers and the sub work, so I don't think its a fuse problem. Any thoughts?

Should I check the connection to the speaker in the door panel? Should I check the line out of the amplifier itself?

Thanks so much!
Sam

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
How to test for bad speaker

How to use a multimeter

Personally speaking, if I remove my door panel, I'm going to upgrade my speakers.

If memory serves me correctly, you will need a quality 4ohm speaker.

I would probably purchase a set of JBL 9638 speakers from Crutchfield for around $80.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You have 2 speakers wired in parallel in the front left. One in the door (full range) and one in the dash (tweeter). If one speaker fails you will get sound out of the other. If no sound out of both then it is likely a wiring issue near the head unit, or the head unit itself.

Are we talking stock (base or RF) or aftermarket stereo?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I would definitely check the lines coming out of the amp under the seat. Sometimes the connection gets loose or dirty from sitting under there. What you can do is turn your stereo up and wiggle the harness around and see if the driver side speaker pumps out sound.. if it does, then there's your problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts