Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few weeks every so often I have been hearing a thump when I am stopping. Very inconsistent. I made sure all my skid plates are tight and check the front suspension bolts.

Today it was very nice out so I drove with the windows down and the sound was coming from under the drivers area. I crawl under then turn the front drive shaft. It rotates ~ 1/8 turn. When it stops it makes the thumping noise I have been hearing. Not sure if this is a problem or not.

Any ideas? Does the front shaft turn all the time?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The front drive shaft should turn all the time (even in 2wd). This is because there are no hubs, so our front diff is always turning.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured as much. I will have to give it the old blown front diff test tomorrow.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is weird because it makes a slamming noise. But it is random.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I heard an unusually loud snap while I was going up Coyote Canyon a while ago. It seemed to function as normal afterward though.

What's this "blown-dif-test"?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jack the front of the X so both tires are off the ground.
Engage 4HI.
Then tire open tire and the other tire should turn in the opposite direction.
No strange noises should be present.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It appears my front diff is not damaged. Put it in the air in 4H and both wheels spun in opposite directions with no strange noises. Only a slight noise when changing direction.

Dagger suggested it could be a lose CV shaft or brake pad. Looks like I will investigate more this weekend.

·
on line
41 Posts
Is the noise more pronounced when turning one direction or the other at low speeds? Im having that issue. After a particularly hard impact A popping started on the left while turning left and is now starting on the right while turning right. Sound the same?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That right there sounds like a blown diff. that was the exact sounds mine made. When you say popping, is it a pretty hard pop, kind of loud and some what scary?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No noises when turning. 4wd works as I used it in the snow last week.

I haven't had time to figure it out. Hopefully this weekend during a mod day in NY. Driving me nuts because I drove 800 miles in the last 2 days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts