Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How many of you have had your front differential break while you were offroading?

Front Differential Break?

4K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  BioTerra 
#1 ·
I have owned my 06 Xterra 4x4 X model for just about a year now and have never taken it off road. Well I am planning to soon but then I read all this info about guys who have had their front differential break on them. So I just want to take a poll to see about how many people this has happened to.

Also, if you have a chance to respond with your vote, I would love to know what size tires you were running at the time.

Thanks peeps!

#4 ·
its one of those things...there are alot out there that have never had a problem, but you only hear about the ones that do.

like, there were those two diffs that actually cracked a year or so ago, and then nothing. most of the other diffs can be attributed to wheelspin or other things.

saying that, i believe the front diff was under engineered for the application...so be careful, but don't worry to much or you'll not enjoy the truck.

#6 ·
I have been in everything from mud to rocks to small lakes. I enjoy wheelin' hard and no problems with the front diff. I did have my rear axle replaced, H2O had found its way in before I did the breather mod. Also Transfer case is being replaced on Tues. 34,000 miles and I am running 285/75 Pro Comps A/T for the last 7,000 miles..

#10 ·
No diff issues yet at 60K+ miles. My '06 gets driven hard, wheeled hard, and even jumped on occasion. I do tend to not romp the gas pedal when in 4High or 4Lo to avoid excess pressure on the spider gears...ie avoid high torque when turning, try to avoid spinning the wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.