Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2x4 X. I can clearly see the rear diff. It is right behind the spare. Where exactly is the front diff?

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Ok sooo since I know this question is posted seriously I will try and give you a serious answer. First off a 2X4 is a piece of wood, so I'm thinking you have a 4X2. Secondly you pretty much just answered your own question by saying you have a 2 wheel drive. That front diff of yours is non existent.

·
on line
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. Sorry for the stupid newbie question.

·
on line
1,081 Posts
Gross over-simplification warning:
So the differential is used to distribute power from the engine to the wheels. The engine powers the drive shaft (lets not get into the transfer case here) which is connected to the differential. The differential distributes the power from the driveshaft to the two wheels. In a 4x4 the engine powers both a front and a rear drive shaft to turn all 4 wheels. In a 4x2 the engine only powers one drive shaft that (in the case of the X) turns the rear wheels. So in a 4x2 there is only one differential to be found.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
thats what I love about this place..ask a question stupid or not and get an answer....not like my old club which is local...

I have learned more here in under 1 year than I have learned in 2 years at my local club....
Because of the attitude I stopped wheeling with them.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Well, I tip my hat to you guys because I know how this would have been answered on some other sites. I'm impressed. This is one great site!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Well, in regards to the question there would have been no answer but there would have been some comments and they wouldn't have been nice!

·
on line
3,050 Posts
TXterra37 said:
dezurtrat said:
Well, I tip my hat to you guys because I know how this would have been answered on some other sites. I'm impressed. This is one great site!
You mean would NOT have been answered?
or flamed for asking the question

·
on line
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the support and not laugh a newbie off the board. I was really embarrassed. But, I am sure that there are some guys reading this that are breathing a sigh of relief. They are glad that I asked the stupid question instead of them. There are guys like me who are truly new to this stuff but are eager to learn.

The X is my first truck. I've not even heard of "T-case" until I read about it here (Yes, I know. I don't have one. Hehe...). And I had to google "RTV" to find out that it stands for "room temperature vulcanization". I've learned a lot from just reading the board. My first oil change on the X was a disaster. I had oil everywhere. But, I am happy to report that I just did my seond oil change and I didn't spill a single drop on the ground. Not having a front diff is a blessing, I guess. It makes changing the diff oil that much easier. LOL.

Thanks again for help and support.

·
on line
704 Posts
Man, if you really want to be insulted, post these questions on XOC. This site is the nicest resource for the second generation X owners.

And remember, a stupid question is one that you ask after a problem has happened :)

·
on line
1,744 Posts
It is a cool site, flames are seldom and only in pure fun between friends.
Group hug, come on ...hey it's not *** if you keep you pants on...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts