Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 S 4x4

Ok I just replaced the passenger side half shaft/cv axle because it had some play in it and I was getting some steering wheel vibration. During the install noticed the Diff end of the shaft had wear and shavings. New shaft in and still some play and steering shake:mad:. I can tell it's in the Diff most likely the part that connects to the half shaft. Driver side is fine. Also for a while now when I come out of 4LO I have to reverse to get it to disengage.

Ok my X does not have a locking diff. Now knowing the Diff needs to be opened up here is my question; do I try to fix this or is there a locking diff I could swap this out for with little to no modification:scratch:? I have some mechanical ability (did the PRG lift) but I'm no mechanic.

Love the forum get all my info here, sorry if this has been asked and answered, but if you guys could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.:wave:

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Are you sure that it is the half shaft that is causing the steering issues?

Either way, if there are shavings etc on the half shaft then you have an issue. If you feel that the diff is damaged, honestly, simply replacing it is probably more worth it than rebuilding it. You can find them on the forums for a few hundred bucks. As for replacing it with a locking diff, there is no plug and play locker for the front. The closest thing would be to place an order with ARB for their air locker, but then you will need a small compressor, and to pay someone to install it as it is not a DIY job with the experience that you stated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks,
there is definitely a diff issue even if its not the cause of the steering shake. When I shake the half shaft there is play on the diff end but not the wheel bearing end. I could put in a air system but not comfortable doing the internal work for the locker. I'll have to weigh the $ vs want on this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts