Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my frt swaybar bushings last night, and i noticed a little seepage from the front diff...it looks like it might be coming from the gasket between the two halves...the fluid didn't look dirty, so I think I'll be ok till I can get it serviced, but has anyone else had this happen ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I took in my 06 X in for it's 75k mile service last week. Service writer mentioned to me that the front left diff seal is "seeping". He said they'll reinspect it next service interval and then decide on the best course of action. So far, estimates for this repair range from $250-$350. I looked up the part on xterraparts.com and the seal itself costs like $8. Anyone replaced one of these yet?

·
Registered
16,147 Posts
^ it's really easy...u pull the halfshaft and pull the seal right out of the side of the housing. the new one goes right back in easily. I used a small piece of PVC piping (2.5" diam ish...???) to hit it carefully back into the diff with equal force. 250-350 is freaking rape!!! i could do this repair in 1.5-2 hrs tops!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks Rook, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll definitely do it myself then. The extra money I save will go towards the OBX header fund. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts