Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lurking over on club frontier and noticed that Jeremy is trying to track down a Front Diff to replace the stock front diff.

Here is the thread.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10904

Edit: More details.

nj05nismo said:
Can a mod make this a sticky????

Ok...ladies and gentlemen. I have good news. I just talked to larry at mad4wd. He is definantly interested in doing this project for us. But he needs a few things, ok a bunch of things. No word on price, btu hes willing to do a full drop in kit with everything you need to bolt it up. He can do a d44 for sure, but a 9" would probibly be easier to make depending on space. so figure a d44, and if there is enough space a ford 9". The diff will include the housing, gears, locker/open diff (depending on choice it will affect the $$$...remember a arb is almost a grand itself), intermediate shafts, and possibly a DS...but that may be seperate and a woody. so a drop in.

the list...
1) a stock CV shaft
2) a stock front diff....it CAN BE BUSTED...as long as its reasonably intact so they can get mesurements...
3) any pics you have of the diff and its mounting...esp showing clerence between the diff and surrounding stuff.
4) the most important part...i need 10 people, money in hand willing to shell out to be the first on the block to have the diff. Less than 10 and its not $$ viable for them (which i understand). Figure 2K or so for price...

Please cross post this thread on any forum that has members with 05+ frontier/xterra/pathy....

people who are interested or have parts your willing to "donate" are asked to email me at [email protected] ...youwill be added to the mailing list for updates. I am willing to help with the cost of shipping the parts to the shop in order to make this possible.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump...

I believe they are 1 or 2 people short of getting the 10 needed.

They are going to use the d44 because of the cheaper and more available gearing/locker options.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Latest news: It is a go. And since Jeremy is from NJ I am going to try and head over there when he does the install.

nj05nismo said:
ok this project is a GO...he sees there is serious intrest so you guys dont have to worry about having the money now. im figureing a month or 2 before i get the first one to test out (i cant imagine its that easy to build a front drop in IFS diff). But havent gotten any word on that from him yet. So all the guys who have money on hand be patient. Those that dont...still email me to the addy in the first post and ill put you on the "keep informed" list.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am really interested in this and I have the cash, but I really want to see it work before I fork out the money. If I can get an ARB locked front diff that drops in without much cutting and it run stock half shafts for $2500, I'll buy one in a heart beat.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
muzikman said:
I am really interested in this and I have the cash, but I really want to see it work before I fork out the money. If I can get an ARB locked front diff that drops in without much cutting and it run stock half shafts for $2500, I'll buy one in a heart beat.
Well he is going to get a proto-type made. It would be great plus if you are crazy enough you could run 35's. The big probably maybe the need for a custom drive shaft.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Interested in Los Angeles......

Sucks. Tell me how it goes. Is this only possible for you off road guys since you have a d44 in the back? I would think there would be gearring issues.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
Interested in Los Angeles......

Sucks. Tell me how it goes. Is this only possible for you off road guys since you have a d44 in the back? I would think there would be gearring issues.
Probably not since there are so many gear options out there for the d44.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I already asked about the gearing issue and he never responded. The X's have a really odd ratio (OR model or not), so hopfully it can be matched. If not, there is obviously no point in even trying this.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think he planed to run a 3.70 because it was close the 3.69 of the rear Nismo/OR axle.

3.69 is funky. Typical Nissan!

·
on line
735 Posts
how are they going to adapt to the nissan half shafts? It's a good idea since sas is uncivilized and pretty costly, the titan swap is wide trac and costly. this would be less costly and you could still have the driveability on the street.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found this.

nj05nismo said:
i dont have 3.69...i have 3.31 gears as my truck is an auto. as for gears there cant be a standardized gear set...since there are MANY available ratios in the xterra/frontier who could benifit from this diff. I know there is no exact match for the 3.69 in a d44, dont know about the 9". however there are matches that are within accepted "range" for all the gears. my plan is actually to step up the the avaible 3.54 gears from the cc auto nismo as well as several other trim levels, and use 3.54 front gears as well...which are available in the 9" and the d44. when i talk to them on thursday i will ask about gearing and such. but i suspect ANY d44 or 9" ratio will be usable in the housing (thats sorta the reason im doing this) so a suitible ratio is bound to exist

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I guess I am a little confused then. Even if you can get close to the same ratio, what is the benefit of another front axle if it is still IFS? Just to have something a little more sturdy? Because until they start producing things for the back axle, you really wont be able to do anything to either one correct? I suppose maybe a true trac or something up front and then the stock elocker in the back?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I don't know how they were planning on or if they even can use the stock half shafts. I would only do it if you could use stock half shafts. The reason for that is stock half shafts are pretty easy to find and not all that expensive (used about $130 each). If a custom half shaft has to be used, how expensive will they be, how readily availble would they be and what do you do when you snap one.

As for the gearing, the good news is that Precision Gear is working on gears for the X (M226 first I assume). So gearing shouldn't be a problem...but it does add to the total cost.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
I guess I am a little confused then. Even if you can get close to the same ratio, what is the benefit of another front axle if it is still IFS? Just to have something a little more sturdy? Because until they start producing things for the back axle, you really wont be able to do anything to either one correct? I suppose maybe a true trac or something up front and then the stock elocker in the back?
The problem is our front diffs are a serious weak point. If you can beef it up, you'll be much better off.

I would rather have a seletable locker in the front. this would be for safety reasons seeing as we do not have hubs.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
muzikman said:
So gearing shouldn't be a problem...but it does add to the total cost.
Do you then have to get a new rear locker?

·
on line
735 Posts
If the gear ratio is significantly different, the locker will be useless since the carrier will place the ring gear in the wrong spot for numerically low gears.

dana 44 has historically been 3.73 and lower on the carrier split.

what this means for those that don't know is that when you take teeth off of the pinion gear and make it smaller, you have to either make the ring gear thicker (weaker too) or get a different diff carrier housing with the flange for the ring gear cast a little closer to center so the gears will reach each other.

the 4.10 carrier goes up to 4.56 and 4.88. If people ever go this route, youre gonna need to ditch the nissan e-locker and get something else in ther with 32 spline side gears. Another option is to lower the trnfercase ratio (if it ever becomes possible or swap in an Atlas II etc.) A $2000 Atlas t/c might be a lot cheaper than new gears and lockers.

All this brings me back to keeping the X stock on 32's 33's with maybe a skid plate and the shrock bars. I'm not beating myself up on this one...I'll let somebody else blaze new trails with their wallet. I just sold my TJ because I had no real plans to offroad anymore and it was still worth money so I got rid of it. My X is staying the station wagon they all are.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I wasn't planning on lowing the ratio much, I just need the front gears to match the rear.

And I would assume that when Precision makes the gears, they don't require a new carrier...it wouldn't seem cost effective.

I have no plans to run anything larger than 33's. But I would like to have a stronger front diff and a front locker.

·
on line
641 Posts
muzikman said:
I already asked about the gearing issue and he never responded. The X's have a really odd ratio (OR model or not), so hopfully it can be matched. If not, there is obviously no point in even trying this.
I'm in as long as it stays in the $2-2.5K range.

If we go with the d44 (most probably), 3.71 gears will work with our rear 3.69. That's only a 0.5% difference. If we go with the ford 9, then 3.70 gears are available, about 0.25% difference.

I wanted to go SAS, but that won't happen in the near future, too much money for me.

With the diff swap I can get a beefier front diff (peace if mind) with a front lsd/locker.

BTW, thank you guys for your help on this project.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts