Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I searched this site for "front diff breather" and I found a post about relocating the rear and someone posted that the front diff is routed near the air box but not capped (nothing to prevent water or particles to go into it).

I did the DIY rear diff breather relocation thanks to a How to posted on this forum (thanks for that). I wouldn't have known how to do that mod or known why we need to do that mod if it wasn't for this forum. Thanks again.

I wanted to cap off the front breather line with the same aquarium air filter as was suggested for the rear. Does anyone know where I could find the front diff breather?

Again someone posted that it was near the air box but I haven't seen it and a picture or directions would be much appreciated.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
The answer, with no question is:
Under the air-box towards the rear is a tube secured to the air-box, this tube is the breather for the front diff.
I had the entire fender off investigating the use of a snork and determined that nothing else was needed. But you decide. If water gets p that far, bye bye alternator anyways. Our X is far from amphibious. Terrible for water applications. During my investigation for a snork, I looked things over and decided that the X was only good to cross water as high as the center of the rims. Any more than that is asking for troubles. Your Diff breather is about 18" above that point. MC

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Don't forget there are tranni and T-case breathers.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
and don't forget these breathers...

NICE LUNGS!

·
on line
1,114 Posts
It's been my experience the 2nd Gen X do just fine with high water crossings. Here's a youtube video of us at some crossings at Shoe Creek after heavy rains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzFSC6mbisk

I've got a bunch of still shots of other deep water crossings at Dry River and other various locations if you're interested. Some crossings are as high as the bottom of my headlights. Just keep moving while going through high water and you'll be fine. Oh, and use common sense.

A rear dif breather extension helps, too.

·
on line
295 Posts
Nice Rouge. I thought the front diff, tranny and T-case all came to the one hose up near the air box, right MC? I got a two pack of breather stones so I stuck on on there rather than loose it in the garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts