Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I hope this hasn't been asked before, but I'm going to ask away. My question is pretty specific...anyways... The question I have is for those of you guys running a spacer on top of a coilover, or running extended length coilovers. I currently am running TJM med duty coilovers, with the nisstec 1" top plate spacer. With this setup, the entire coilover bolted in just fine with ease. I ordered another set of 1" top plate spacers to try to gain a bit more lift in the front. However, when I tried to reinstall the coilover with the extra spacer on top, the coilover assembly seemed too long to fit without it being compressed. Now, I had been running pro-4x bilsteins/coils with a 2.5" spacer on top prior to this, and I did have to use a pry bar to slightly compress that setup to get the lower shock bolt in. I tried to do this with the tjm setup, but the springs are a bit too stiff for me to simply use leverage to get it in. I suppose I could use spring compressors on it to compress it slightly, and then get the bolt to slide through.

However, my main question/concern is that with the front wheels at full droop, this will be putting extra stress on the ball joints, correct? Because the suspension is trying to decompress, but can't go any farther due to the ball joints not allowing that much more movement. Has anyone else run into this issue? Or thought about it or even cared? I just don't want to have to replace my ball joints. Now, I also realize that unless I am jumping my truck, I probably will never have the suspension topping out real hard, but I imagine it could happen. I figured with the softer springs on my old setup it wasnt that big of a deal since i could compress them with just a crow bar, but the extra strength of the TJM's makes me nervous.

So, if any of this is unclear to you, please allow me to clarify, but if this is making sense, what do you guys think? I appreciate your input. I would like to gain another inch or so in the front.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Are those the TJM Extended travel Coilovers or TJM Bilsteins? I'm not positive there is a difference in length but the name of them would make me guess that.

Side note, did you need longer top bolts for the top of your TJM's when you added the 1" spacer?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are those the TJM Extended travel Coilovers or TJM Bilsteins? I'm not positive there is a difference in length but the name of them would make me guess that.

Side note, did you need longer top bolts for the top of your TJM's when you added the 1" spacer?
I have the TJM extended travel coilovers. Medium duty, with the 1" top plate spacer. I installed extended studs myself to run the 1" top plate spacer. I'm trying to add ANOTHER 1" top plate spacer to each side, so basically i'm trying to use a 2" spacer on top of the TJM coilovers. Everything fit just fine with the original 1" spacer, but not so much for the 2nd one.

·
Registered
767 Posts
According to NissTecs website the TJM extended travel coilovers will give you 2" of lift. I highly doubt that you could squeeze 4" of lift out of the stock UCA's. Even if you did it would ride like granite and have no down travel. If your looking for a usable 4" lift you will need a drop bracket or T.S..

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
According to NissTecs website the TJM extended travel coilovers will give you 2" of lift. I highly doubt that you could squeeze 4" of lift out of the stock UCA's. Even if you did it would ride like granite and have no down travel. If your looking for a usable 4" lift you will need a drop bracket or T.S..
I have a shrock bumper on the front, so theres no way I'm getting 2" of lift with just the coils. I figure right now with the coils and the 1" spacer I'm getting 2, MAYBE 2.5" of lift in the front. Most likely 2".

Also, the coilvers are MAYBE 1/4" longer than the stock ones. The way you get lift with the TJM coilovers is because the springs are stiffer than stock, so they sag less. So, it would basically be the same as putting a 2" spacer on a stock coilover, just with stiffer springs. My question is not if it could be done. I know it can be done. My real question here, is will it be bad for my ball joints? The ball joints only allow so much movement in the suspension, and I'm not sure if having the stiffer springs will cause the ball joints to fail if they reach their maximum limit of travel.

Also, I don't have stock UCA's, I have SPC.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave if it doesn't feel right an you're really questioning it I wouldn't. I understand your question though. There is definitely added stress is it enough to do damage? Well just daily driving I'm sure it's fine but if you go to do heavy wheeling if I if I'd be comfortable broski.
Thanks man, that was my theory. But then I started thinking, what about guys who are running say radflo's with higher spring rates and spacers on top. Did they have the same issue I'm talking about?

I REALLY like the way my truck rides as it is, and I'd rather not go to the HD springs, but I really want to go a little higher in the front to help me from bashing my LCA brackets like I did the last run. Maybe I'll call nisstec up tomorrow and see what they think...

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm running 1.5" spacers on top of Radflo extended coilovers for 3.5-4" of lift. SPC UCAs are the key. TC or PGR have droop stops, won't let you do it.

PRG Greg came out a long time ago and said that was impossible because the LCA ball joint would bind. A few people a recently tried (SteadyHigh for example) it anyway and as far as I know no one has had problems with up to a 2" spacer on extended Radflos.

Every truck is a little different. Try it out, take it easy until you get a feel for it and gain confidence. My UCAs contact the coil bucket to limit down travel.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm running 1.5" spacers on top of Radflo extended coilovers for 3.5-4" of lift. SPC UCAs are the key. TC or PGR have droop stops, won't let you do it.

PRG Greg came out a long time ago and said that was impossible because the LCA ball joint would bind. A few people a recently tried (SteadyHigh for example) it anyway and as far as I know no one has had problems with up to a 2" spacer on extended Radflos.

Every truck is a little different. Try it out, take it easy until you get a feel for it and gain confidence. My UCAs contact the coil bucket to limit down travel.

Good Luck.
I had a problem. I have 1/4" thick spacers (1/2" lift) on top of my extended Radflo's. The 1/2" thick spacers (1" lift) I would have had to compress the shock to fit everything back together.

I think we figured out it had to do with OEM/aftermarket LCA's. There is the thread out there that compares a few of our trucks front suspension and what components fit for maximum spacer fitment.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I've done this, it is bad news. If you have to compress a shock to get it to fit after that's all said and done and your bolted up you will **** you ball joints. It puts to much stress on them.

It's all good when your riding around down but when you offroad at full droop ball joints will start to get destroyed and before you know it they leak and are garbage.

Right now both my ball joints are leaking after putting a 2 inch spacer on radflows and having to disconnect the spindle and compress the shocks to reattach.

Doesn't matter anymore cause I'm titian swapping this weekend. And that is what anyone should do that wants any real travel numbers

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've done this, it is bad news. If you have to compress a shock to get it to fit after that's all said and done and your bolted up you will **** you ball joints. It puts to much stress on them.

It's all good when your riding around down but when you offroad at full droop ball joints will start to get destroyed and before you know it they leak and are garbage.

Right now both my ball joints are leaking after putting a 2 inch spacer on radflows and having to disconnect the spindle and compress the shocks to reattach.

Doesn't matter anymore cause I'm titian swapping this weekend. And that is what anyone should do that wants any real travel numbers
Ok awesome thank you so much. This is finally the answer I've been looking for. I guess I will hold off on adding the spacers. I guess I'll end up going with the HD TJM springs to get that extra lift.

·
Registered
901 Posts

Ouch. Good to know. I didn't realize you had issues. I was able to put the 1.5" spacers on without needing to compress the shock but I might still have the same issues- and I'm not planning (i.e. budgeting) for a TS.

Pray for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts