Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago i ordered a front bumper, got it a month or so ago.....and first of all....it is Fantastic......beautifull work....
Now for my question...i got it with out a winch mount......if i were to one day get a winch....what is the procedure?

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
A while ago i ordered a front bumper, got it a month or so ago.....and first of all....it is Fantastic......beautifull work....
Now for my question...i got it with out a winch mount......if i were to one day get a winch....what is the procedure?

Posted via Mobile Device
Trade bumpers with me. I'll give you my Shrock WITH winch mount.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Haaaa!!...not getting a new bumper!!.....but i dont know/do metal fab
Posted via Mobile Device
There really is no other option. You don't have a hitch in the front either so there is no way to mount a winch or mount a winch cradle.

The easiest fab would be to drill 4 holes in the front and cut out a rectangle for the fairlead. I'm not sure how your license plate recess affects that though.

Besides using duck tape... You would have to get a new bumper with integrated winch mount, be it buying a new on or trading with someone, or stealing one.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I would imagine you would also need to add some extra support in as well to prevent the bumper bending or to distribute the loads.
The main front plate is braced at least on the bottom, left, and right side. There would have to be a inch wide plate welded perpendicular to the top of the main plate.

Most bumpers have this or more (if not all). I don't think any more support will be needed. But can be added no problem for extra peace of mind.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There really is no other option. You don't have a hitch in the front either so there is no way to mount a winch or mount a winch cradle.

The easiest fab would be to drill 4 holes in the front and cut out a rectangle for the fairlead. I'm not sure how your license plate recess affects that though.

Besides using duck tape... You would have to get a new bumper with integrated winch mount, be it buying a new on or trading with someone, or stealing one.
STEALING ONE!!!....BRILLIANT!!!....you got one?....where u live?.....u go to bed around 10-11 ?? No?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
STEALING ONE!!!....BRILLIANT!!!....you got one?....where u live?.....u go to bed around 10-11 ?? No?
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha I'm all the way in Georgia. Maybe finding someone closer to you would be better. I recommend making some slight modifications after the deed is done. Like cutting off guards or even adding them and a fresh cost of paint.

... Might be getting a little too detailed now. I'll stop here before I get a knock on the door from some visitors in blue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
569 Posts
We built one without a winch mount? I don't remember that but that doesn't mean much. The block off plate is an option but all of our bumpers are winch bumpers unless you specifically called and ordered it without. The wincues mount to the face of the bumper.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Why would you order it without the winch mount?
I almost got one without a winch mount. Bought a winch during the ENGO GB so i had to call back and ask them to make those changes. They havent started on it yet so it wasnt a big deal. hind sight. why did i order one without? at the time i had no intentions so it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The winch mounts right behind where your license plate goes. We have the same bumper. You will need to remove your bumper in order to proceed. I have a Warn M8000 and it needed to be clocked, but I can't speak to other brands. Zebra (or something close) has his install detailed in his build page, same generation hefty bumper.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The winch mounts right behind where your license plate goes. We have the same bumper. You will need to remove your bumper in order to proceed. I have a Warn M8000 and it needed to be clocked, but I can't speak to other brands. Zebra (or something close) has his install detailed in his build page, same generation hefty bumper.
True statement...it's all in my build thread. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
Xebra
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing