Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into front bumpers. I was wanting to go plat front bumper from RLC, but then I saw the calmini prerunner and it is really nice. Other then them, and Insane and I think Maxterrs design who else makes them and what other design is out there. Do you have pics. I searched the forum and pages upon pages came up but they had nothing to do with it, and the front bumper thread most of the pics are dead links.

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Yep, the Calmini pre-runner I had on my Frontier had welds that started rusting in less than a year. The rear had coating start coming off in 6 months.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
I don't like rust. RLC it is. Thank you.
Buy whatever one you actually like and just order it raw, then powdercoat it locally. That's what I did with my Hefty because I like the bumper, but their powder coater sucks.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Buy whatever one you actually like and just order it raw, then powdercoat it locally. That's what I did with my Hefty because I like the bumper, but their powder coater sucks.
I've been taking to powdercoaters. What I'm learning is:

- Media blast with aluminum oxide to give the surface some "tooth" for succeeding coats to adhere to.
- For welded steel armor, media blast is preferred over iron/zinc phosphate treatment because the tooth is better for adhesion.
- First coat should be a zinc-rich primer (Cardinal and Tiger Drylac have them, others too).
- Second coat is your color.
- If you're concerned about UV/weather resistance (gloss/color retention) go with a "super durable" powder that has an AAMA 2604 rating.
- Super durable powders use a different resin. But impact resistance may be lower.
- Powders with hammered/textured finishes can be less durable than smooth finishes (based on industry standard impact testing). Depends on the brand powder (e.g. Cardinal).
- Some advocate a third coat (clear or color) if you need super corrosion resistance (i.e. near the ocean or salted roads).
- Third coats cost more and may result in a more brittle coating if the coater isn't careful with timing in the oven.
- Beware of low-cost coating where they don't do much prep work.
- Make lots of phone calls. You'll get quotes all over the map!

Finally, there are lots of opinions out there as to how to finish armor/bumpers (e.g. paint, powder, Line-X). Some powder vendors like Cardinal sell touch-up paint that matches their powders. Also seen anecdotal info ... you can repair minor cracks & scratches in the powder by using a heat gun (I have not verified truth behind this).

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
RockyMtnX is correct. I do have a 2" BL. Not too worried about the gap at the moment but at some point I'll get the mad scientists together and get it raised up
I agree, doesn't look horrible and the truck looks pretty mean! I wounder if you could simply copy the bumper raise brackets that are provided with a body lift for stock bumpers or at least that option was available from Nissan Parts kit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts