Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking of getting an aftermarket front bumper, and I am curious about sagging that a front bumper might cause up there. I currently only have spacers up there, and in the rear I have shackles and AAL. Can I put coils up front without changing out the shocks up there to counterbalance the weight? If I do need to change the shocks, any suggestions (Just got 9100 Ranchos for rear) for for front replacement? Please feel free to make any suggestions on how to keep the front end up with a new bumper...I am open to any of them.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
For the front end you might have a little bit of sag with the front springs and shocks. If you have the AC springs then you won't have to worry about that since they are stronger then the factory ones and provide good lift as well. You don't want to use the spacers and the coils together. You can get an upgrade over the stock I believe form AC but I think they are just Bilsteins. I haven't checked in to them yet. You can retain the stock shocks in the front end with the AC coils.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Can I put coils up front without changing out the shocks up there to counterbalance the weight?
Not if you're running a spacer... you'll need to remove the spacer!
As Dan stated you can retain the stock shock with the AC coils (or upgrade to the Rancho 9000 for about $250 more)... I dont have the Shrock bumper but most of the guys running it with the coils say it balances it out pretty well especially if you have the AAL in the back already.
AC is offering an adjustable Bilstein upgrade for the front that you can run with their coil but for less money you can get the Radflo coilover w/Eibach spring from PRG that's valved specifically for the X and you have adjustable preload to compensate for the weight of the bumper.
Just be aware that with either of the coilovers you will need the Total Chaos UCA's which will tack on about another $500 to the upgrade.
Get in touch with Greg at PRG http://www.prgproducts.com/

·
on line
3,217 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
Just be aware that with either of the coilovers you will need the Total Chaos UCA's which will tack on about another $500 to the upgrade. Get in touch with Greg at PRG http://www.prgproducts.com/
Just for clarification that the UCA's are only needed for the coilovers that are mentioned above and not the AC's springs.

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have the Total Chaos UCAs but still plan on getting a front bumper so...trying to figure out the right way.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
The coil-overs Sexterra got from PRG seems to be a good way to go! They are adjustable. The Shrock front bumper even with a winch did not cause my even Dippy Daystar Spacer lift to sag. It's not that heavy. But if you also go Shrock in rear, it evens it all out anyways. I never noticed sag in front and I have a Winch also. Plus them heavy azz Hella Black Magic's! :cheers: MC

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So from what I am gathering here, I am probably going to have to remove my spacers and replace them if I get the bumper?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
No, leave the spacers, get the bumper and go have fun.

MC is running a Daystar lift (spacers in the front and shackles in the rear) with a Shrock bumper and winch with no problems. You might get a bit of sag, but it's not going to be much. The Shrock bumper (without winch) is probably only about 50-60 lbs over the stock bumper (you have to remember there is a hunk of metal behind all that plastic).

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will order the bumper soon and leave the front suspension in as is for now, though with the AAL, Shackles, and the new shocks in the back combined with the weight of the front bumper I have a feeling I am going to be getting some noticeable front sag in comparison to the back. Eventually I want to balance it out, which it sounds like I would need front shocks and springs to do that? At that time, is there any general consensus on which front shock/spring combo is the best?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have the AC coils on the stock Bilsteins. I have not had any problem with them and I wheel it pretty hard.

After Christmas I plan to order the TC UCA's and the Radflo coilovers. I think that is the best way to go, but it'll set you back a pretty penny.

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is the impression I got from everyone here, though since I have the Total Chaos UCAs; I will have to order the coilovers and the front bumper. Still a pretty penny, but after those and some new tires that will be it. Right....

·
on line
236 Posts
i think im gona order the coilovers and just run limit straps on the front end so i dont have to fork out another 500 bucks for upper a-arms.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Smutty, I was thinking the same thing. I still have my AC coil/shackle components sitting in my garage. The more aftermarket lifts I see coming onto our scene, the more I think about selling them and saving for a high-end lift.
________
FISTING XXX

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just the update:

I ordered the shrockworks front bumper and sliders (both in black) and I ordered the Coilovers from PRG (with the intention of removing my spacers). I already have the Total Chaos UCAs on so I figured this would be the best quality setup. I actually received the Coilovers today (on account of only living about 40 miles from (PRG) and am beginning the long wait on the bumper and sliders.

Sidenote: I also plan on Line-X'ing the door bumper panels and the entire rear bumper setup/side steps. So once that is all on we'll see how it looks, and then MAYBE I will finally put some pics up of the X (after I get tires too lol).

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Definitely bro, just put on the coilovers from PRG and am really happy with that. Also did light bulb replacement and just waiting on the bumper and sliders...at that point we should definitely take out the X's...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts