Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on differential fluid change and got a question.

I have 2005 Off-road, so for the rear, I will use GL-5 75w-140 synthetic, probably Royal Purple ($5 cheaper than Mobil 1 at Autozone).

My question is, for the front, FSM says 80w-90 GL-5. It doesn't say synthetic. Should I use synthetic or non-synthetic for front?

I had an issue with my old corolla with aftermarket LSD where I used synthetic LSD oil and it had a slipping problem, so I wonder if I should not use synthetic where it's not specified.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
You can use synthetic. I personally have been running synthetic gear oil (amsoil, I recommend looking up Motorcop who is a member on here and Amsoil dealer) for the last couple years and won't run anything else.

No worries with synthetic.

·
Registered
340 Posts
+1 I'm a dealer too...the stuff's amazing. I care for about 8 vehicles over 150K,
and they all run like new. Mine's been all Amsoil since ~945 mi. (except da tranny)

·
Registered
433 Posts
You should be able to use synthetic in the fron like the other have said, however it is not required. You deff should (required by nissan) use synthetic in the rear.

On a somewhat related topic I have been told by several mechanics that you shouldnt change the gear oil in the diffs or transmission to early or to often. They all said about 30k miles is good for fluid changes, changing more often dosent have any benefit. But that could also be total BS...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
3,285 Posts
You don't have to use synthetic in the front, but many people on here do.

Like others have mentioned Amsoil makes a good product (I run it, too), but so does RP, Mobil1, etc, etc. In my opinion, the most important thing is too keep your fluids clean and full - regardless of which brand you use (assuming you are using synthetic :iconbiggrin:).

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
No clutches in the front. The limited slip is via the ABS and the computer. Perfectly safe running synthetic up front. I run 75W90

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
On a somewhat related topic I have been told by several mechanics that you shouldnt change the gear oil in the diffs or transmission to early or to often. They all said about 30k miles is good for fluid changes, changing more often dosent have any benefit. But that could also be total BS...
Posted via Mobile Device
That's 100% true. You gain nothing but a lighter wallet when changing diff fluid out too often. I see alot of guys on this site under the impression they are doing a good thing by changing fluid every year. It's just a waste. Like changing tires every year, or motor oil every 1k miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for feedback. I ended up using Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-90 for the front, drove for 200 miles and all is good. Nothing was wrong before, so I don't feel any improvements, but having looked at the metal sludge on the bolt magnet, I feel better now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts