Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

A while back I bought a shrock front bumper, rear bumper w/carrier and sliders from one member who had an 06' X.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81418

I installed the rear bumper with no problems, and I was going to do the sliders next. To make a long story short, the new sliders don't seem to fit right. They're not parallel with the door line, and the center post seems to be about an 1/8" longer than the front or rear, causing a 1/8" gap on the front and rear posts depending on which way I "rock" them. The thing is, I know the X that they came off of is a 2nd gen because my rear shrock bumper fits, which it wouldn't fit on a first gen, but it doesn't seem to fit to my frame!!!???!!?!

:angry5:

When laying on its side, one slider rocks about 1/4" up and down pivoting near the center. Does this mean that the sliders were tweaked? Also, it seems as though the extending bars make contact with the door seam, is that normal?

Here are some pictures:

This is the gap with the sliders clamped up there on the front end: I know they seem like they're on the edge of the bracket in front of it, but the gap is the same if I slide them back as well. I just took the picture like this without readjusting them again...

Further away:

I cant life them up higher because of this:

Should sliders look like this when mounted, i.e. not parallel with the door sil?

Picture of the rear bracket:

It doesn't line up like the picture, mine hits the front plastic of the wheel well. If I mounted them lower the front mount bottom holes wouldn't even be on the frame.

I know they look similar, but look how far down the frame the mounts are, so I couldn't mount the bar any lower. And in the stock photo on the website, it looks like I should have about 1" to the seem.

Pic on the floor, the tabs look slightly bent to me? Would that make a difference?

And again, when measured, I have 11" from the edge of the rail to the center support plate, and 10 7/8" to the rear support bracket, and 10 7/8" to the front support bracket.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would have welded them on, but I wasn't sure because of how they sat, not parallel with the door, tabs not straight and the gap up front wouldve required stock bar to fill the gap, and a ton of weld which I didn't want to do because of the heat stress.

What would you do in this situation? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Brian

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm not sure if it's just the camera angles, but that whole thing looks tweeked in one way or the other. On my hefty sliders, everything is straight, and everything bolted nice and flush. They were also parallel to the body, those look like they've been bent and aren't lining up correctly. If you like I'll go get some pics of how everything is aligned, but I'm not sure if it will be an exact match to yours.

The kickout bar on this one looks like it's bowed in the center to me.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if it's just the camera angles, but that whole thing looks tweeked in one way or the other. On my hefty sliders, everything is straight, and everything bolted nice and flush. They were also parallel to the body, those look like they've been bent and aren't lining up correctly. If you like I'll go get some pics of how everything is aligned, but I'm not sure if it will be an exact match to yours.

The kickout bar on this one looks like it's bowed in the center to me.
Yeah, now that you mention it it does to me as well. Would you mind posting a pic of how yours are mounted with the door sil and how they look mounted on the frame?

I guess this is one of those things you shouldn't buy used, even though he said "15k" miles on them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I appreciate it. They look a lot better than what I'm working with.

Batman, what do you mean grind weld and repeat? Grind What? My frame? Weld Them? I would have to add/remove about 1/8 to a 1/4 of steel in various places, whether it be from the frame or the sliders. Doesn't seem kosher to me to have to do that. I don't want to weaken my frame, and if the sliders are already tweaked that means they're not as strong.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I took a T-bone at 70 mph and they deflected 1/4 inch.

I don't believe that. May have gotten t-boned but not at 70 mph (unless it was Lance Armstrong riding his bicycle down hill on speed lol)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Freeway 680 580(Dublin, CA) interchange pulled off on the exit(long) doing 70.
lady misses the exit turns around on a 5 lane freeway hit 2 other cars on her quest for the exit.
hit me in the off ramp lane(i'm doing 70) hit the Shrock , broke the back wheel lip, put me in a fish tail that I recovered from and then pulled over. 3 people in car with no seat belts. all went to hospital with ambulance. I had AAA change tire and after I quit shaking I drove home.

Documented on the Xterra archives many moons ago.
with pictures.

How long you been here?
I only lie about the size of my .....

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I took a T-bone at 70 mph and they deflected 1/4 inch.
affected strength in no way.
I ran them for an additional few years afterward.

Shrock are tough.

Grind what you need to and weld them.

Welding them in is a solid answer.
Op seemed to indicate he may think his sliders are Shrock on his first sentence, and you also infer that here. The ops sliders in his post are not Shrock. Just FYI. They may be AJs maybe or some one off custom built sliders, but they are not Shrock. Just trying to clarify.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Op seemed to indicate he may think his sliders are Shrock on his first sentence, and you also infer that here. The ops sliders in his post are not Shrock. Just FYI. They may be AJs maybe or some one off custom built sliders, but they are not Shrock. Just trying to clarify.
Point taken ,
i thought they looked alittle strange for shrock;

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Freeway 680 580(Dublin, CA) interchange pulled off on the exit(long) doing 70.
lady misses the exit turns around on a 5 lane freeway hit 2 other cars on her quest for the exit.
hit me in the off ramp lane(i'm doing 70) hit the Shrock , broke the back wheel lip, put me in a fish tail that I recovered from and then pulled over. 3 people in car with no seat belts. all went to hospital with ambulance. I had AAA change tire and after I quit shaking I drove home.

Documented on the Xterra archives many moons ago.
with pictures.

How long you been here?
I only lie about the size of my .....

That is scary! What the hell was she thinking?

I believe that only deformed your slider 1/4". Sounded like you got t-boned by someone when they were going 70 mph

Reminds me of when someone bumped my front tire on I71. I was going 65-70, they hit my front tire (Cherokee w/4.5" lift and 33's). I started fish tailing, got up on two wheels twice (once on each side), recovered and coasted about a mile to a stop. Scared the crap out of me! It's amazing how much you shake when something like that happens.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
3,647 Posts
Those are 100% AJs sliders. I would contact RockyMtnX and have him make you some new brackets.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, they are AJ's supersquare extended sliders. I thought I mentioned that, but I guess not.

Thanks ripper, I could try that, but the shipping back and forth Of the entire sliders would be crazy, might as well buy new ones. I could have him make them and ship them, but by the time I paid him for new ones, that paid someone to weld them, it almost seems like new ones would make more sense. Sell these for $100, and someone with more tools and space could fab them up and either use them or sell them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Try swapping them left side and right side. Maybe they are on the wrong sides. :dontknow:
I tried that, the bracket on the other one gets completely in the way of another bracket on the frame. I was hoping that was the case as well. The brackets are at different offsets for the driver and passenger side.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Bring them to a metal shop and have them welded on. Any decent shop will have equipment to tweak them any way they want to make them fit. Plus our frame walls are pretty thin, and although i haven't heard of any failures, i dont trust taped bolts to keep rocks off my rig.

·
on line
7,141 Posts
My sliders are the first ones AJ made. The outer rails are beat to crap from coming down on rocks. The self tapping bolts haven't budged in all the abuse I've given them in over 4 years. I love those that talk about how the bolts aren't strong enough but have no real world experience, just intertweb lore to go by.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My sliders are the first ones AJ made. The outer rails are beat to crap from coming down on rocks. The self tapping bolts haven't budged in all the abuse I've given them in over 4 years. I love those that talk about how the bolts aren't strong enough but have no real world experience, just intertweb lore to go by.
Personal preference. I even said that i never heard of a bolt failing. I have the same AJs as you.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Out of curiousity, did you move them up 2" when you body lifted and drill another 48 holes? Or are they still at the original height?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts