Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
have we made mention of what "TS" refers to? i know the Lift Options is already linked but TS should be defined. we must look at this as our former noob selves...

also how about something about "performance mods", CAI, headers, tuners (Superchips, Bully, UpRev, Stillen), exhaust, stickers add 5hp each...

The other clarification on tires that might be worth making, is that there's a couple of ways you can get interference. If you hit fender at the front/back of the wheel well - top too for that matter, you need more lift (suspension or body) or some work with your trimming method of choice. If you hit frame, then you need to move the tires outboard - spacers or wheels with more offset/less backspace are needed. However doing that will also put the tires further from the rotation center of the steering system, making fender interference more likely.

So: fix frame/brake/suspension interference with new tires before trimming, then once that's figured out and you're running the lift you want, go to town trimming the fenders as needed.

Tire sizes

would this help? I made it this morning because I am sick of ALL can i fit this questions...for every size tire.

size_________diameter_____what you have to do to run it
265/70/16R****30.6"*****nothing, stock X and S sizes
275/70/16R****31.2"*****nothing
265/75/16R****31.6"*****nothing, stock OR size
285/70/16R****31.7""****nothing
285/70/17R****32.7"****melt mod
285/75/16R****32.8"*****melt mod, and/or mild SL or BL
255/85/16R****33.1"*****melt mod, and/or mild SL or BL
295/75/16R****33.4"*****3" SL AND significant fender trimming OR a BL and SL and a little fender trimming, wheel spacers or TS
305/75/16R****34.0"*****2 or 3" SL, BL, some fender trimming, wheel spacers or TS (if this size even exists....)
315/75/16R****34.6"*****2 or 3" SL, BL, more fender trimming, wheel spacers or TS

*please note for those of you with 17" rims (SE xterra) your aspect ratio will change from 75 to 70...so the equivalent Tire to a 315/75/16R for a 17" rim would be 315/70/17R. These two tires are pretty much the exact same size but will fit their corresponding size rims.

*every tire company is going to manufacture their tire smaller or larger than the actual calculated measurement. This means that you may need to make slight modifications based on which tire typ and manufacturer you select.

Fixed

How do I post/include a picture?

Either host the file somewhere online (Photobucket is a popular option for this, and free), then use the image tagging feature of BB Code (the syntax is: '
') to place the picture inline with your post. Or if you are a supporting member, and if the file is small enough and the right file format, include it as an attachment to your post.

Note that the allowed number and size limitations make the latter not a particularly desireable option for posts containing many images ... using BB Code to include them inline is a much better way to go if that is what you're trying to do (or if you are not a supporting member).

Great info for a newbie Xterra owner like me searching around for info, but maybe I missed it; is there a difference in these figures for the 2WD models? I have a 2010 4x2 S model that I do not off-road with, but would like to customize the look a little with some larger tires without major mods such as lifting. Thanks.

I'm bumping this, because this is now the 4th or 5th time I've dug up a link to a post I made about measurements off of the stock OR wheels ... figured I'd put a link to it here:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=352098&postcount=13. Seems like I go digging for it every time something more detailed than hub BCD or generic wheel size comes up; dunno if folks find it useful, but if so, hopefully it'll be easier to find now.

Also, how come this thread's not a sticky in the General forum (or a link from the Site FAQ)?

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I'm bumping this, because this is now the 4th or 5th time I've dug up a link to a post I made about measurements off of the stock OR wheels ... figured I'd put a link to it here:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=352098&postcount=13. Seems like I go digging for it every time something more detailed than hub BCD or generic wheel size comes up; dunno if folks find it useful, but if so, hopefully it'll be easier to find now.

Also, how come this thread's not a sticky in the General forum (or a link from the Site FAQ)?
Glad it was helpful. I wonder fi it still is.

To all who need to remove Plasti-Dip. A mixture of WD40 and Goo Gone, soak for 10 mins and microfiber cloth will take plasti-dip right off without much effort.

These wheels were plasti-dipped black.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I post driveway photos of my Xterra?

No problem. Get a Photobucket account and then check this out.

How do I post/include a picture?

Either host the file somewhere online (Photobucket is a popular option for this, and free), then use the image tagging feature of BB Code (the syntax is: '
') to place the picture inline with your post. Or if you are a
, and if the file is small enough and the right file format, include it as an attachment to your post.

Note that the allowed number and size limitations make the latter not a particularly desireable option for posts containing many images ... using BB Code to include them inline is a much better way to go if that is what you're trying to do (or if you are not a supporting member).
Might want to update these two since Photobucket has gone hero to zero. ;)

What is the biggest tire I can fit on my new Xterra?

You can run a 33” tire, also often referred to as 285’s (click here for more info on tire sizes), on a stock Xterra with a mild modification known as the melt mod. With no modifications you can mount a 32” tire without issue. Anything larger than a 33” tire will require a lift and likely some trimming.

Trim: X,S, and OR:

1.) 255/85/16R - Diameter - 33.1"
2.) 285/75/16R - Diameter - 32.8" -most common size

Trim: SE

1.) 255/80/17R - Diameter - 33.1"
2.) 285/70/17R - Diameter - 32.8"

Check out this tire calculator.

Will it Fit and What has to be Done!

I made it this morning because I am sick of ALL can i fit this questions...for every size tire.

Tire Size | Diameter | What has to be Done
265/70/16R | 30.6" | Nothing, stock X and S sizes
275/70/16R | 31.2" | Nothing
265/75/16R | 31.6" | Nothing, stock OR size
285/70/16R | 31.7" | Nothing
285/70/17R | 32.7" | Melt Mod
285/75/16R | 32.8" | Melt Mod, and/or mild SL or BL
255/85/16R | 33.1" | Melt Mod, and/or mild SL or BL
295/75/16R | 33.4" | 3" SL AND significant fender trimming OR a BL and SL and a little fender trimming, wheel spacers or TS
305/75/16R | 34.0" | 2" or 3" SL, BL, some fender trimming, wheel spacers or TS (if this size even exists....)
315/75/16R | 34.6" | 2" or 3" SL, BL, more fender trimming, wheel spacers or TS

* Please note for those of you with 17" rims (SE xterra) your aspect ratio will change from 75 to 70...so the equivalent Tire to a 315/75/16R for a 17" rim would be 315/70/17R. These two tires are pretty much the exact same size but will fit their corresponding size rims.

* Every tire company is going to manufacture their tire smaller or larger than the actual calculated measurement. This means that you may need to make slight modifications based on which tire typ and manufacturer you select.

May I request that the text quoted above be posted in the Brakes, Tires, and Wheels forum as a sticky, please? It's one of the most useful tire posts on the site and one of the most common FAQ.

Having seen it once before, I hunted all over for days to find it again (and search function wasn't helping). Never occurred to me to look in something called the "welcome center" for tire-specific info.

To avoid redundancy and help change management, the quoted text could be removed from the OP and replaced with a link pointing to the new sticky. Then we can continue to suggest updates to the info in that new location.

Thanks! :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.