Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Here's the deal, the U.P. of Michigan is bitter bitter cold these days (the high today is suppose to be -2 F) and my X is running into some problems because if it. First off, this morning, my car wouldn't start; the starter just whined with no action after that. Second, my trip computer (both A and B) were zeroed out, could the cold weather cause this too?? Any suggestions? Has anyone else ran into similar problems? I'm at 11000 miles.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Sounds like your battery is prematurely toast. The dead battery would cause the trip computer to reset.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
The radio and lights take much less power. The problem is that the battery just doesn't have enough cold cranking amps to do it. If you could get a jump that would tell you if the battery is the problem.

BTW - I feel your pain we got 2+ feet of snow this weekend and it is 2 degrees outside!

·
on line
1,407 Posts
That should be a warranty thing.

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to check this out during lunch. Hopefully the dealership doesn't give me hell if I do need to take it in.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Lets hope mine starts after sitting at work all day. It was -17 when I rolled out of the garage this morning. High today is -5.

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealership told me if a jump doesn't work, then it's covered under warranty but if a jump does work, then they'll chalk one up for cold weather and do nothing for me. As for the trip computer, they said if the battery dies, the trip computer will reset. I'll be upset if cold weather is going to do that because I use the trip computer for oil changes and gas mileage.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If the better dies the trip computer dies. It doesn't really have as much to do with the cold except that cold is bad for batteries. Use paper and pen for gas mileage and oil changes.

·
on line
54 Posts
It might be as simple as bringing the battery inside and letting it warm up. The cold just inhibits the chemical reaction that produces electricity, I don't think it actually ruins the battery.

·
on line
210 Posts
The "Jump start" excuse is bullsh%&... You can jumps start any car even if the car has no battery...

Look at you battery, is it frosted on the outside? It means the inside is frozen solid - thus dead battery to be discarded. Ask the stealer to read the output when cold and compare it to the specs (warranty booklet of the battery).

I have an '05, I'm leaving in Quebec (hard & cold winter), this is my second winter with the original battery and I have no problem starting my X by any weather. For example: the temperature this morning was -8F, it's below 0F since saturday and the X was sitting still for 36 hours: Started on the first try without hesitation.

My guess is that you have a bad battery - should be under warranty...

Just my 2¢ - Regards

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I went home during lunch to check on my car and it started up with a slight hesitation but I didn't need a jump. I guess my X doesn't like the cold weather b/c even after letting it run for 15 minutes, the "VDC OFF" light was on and didn't shut off until I drove about 100 yards. Also, the shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd was rough. I hope the cold weather isn't going to cause any permanent damage.

The problem with the dealership I went through is its my girlfriend's dad bad idea. I'm never buying through a relative again b/c I can't get too angr......assertive when it comes to little issues. I'm probably letting a lot of nit picky things slide b/c of him.

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
eXTra fORt said:
The "Jump start" excuse is bullsh%&... You can jumps start any car even if the car has no battery...

Look at you battery, is it frosted on the outside? It means the inside is frozen solid - thus dead battery to be discarded. Ask the stealer to read the output when cold and compare it to the specs (warranty booklet of the battery).

I have an '05, I'm leaving in Quebec (hard & cold winter), this is my second winter with the original battery and I have no problem starting my X by any weather. For example: the temperature this morning was -8F, it's below 0F since saturday and the X was sitting still for 36 hours: Started on the first try without hesitation.

My guess is that you have a bad battery - should be under warranty...

Just my 2¢ - Regards
Thanks for the tip, if she doesn't start tomorrow morning, I'm going to check this out.

·
on line
120 Posts
Oh yeah! I've tried every synthetic combo out there too. Settled on a mix of Redline MTL and MT-90. Shifts better now but still not great when it's cold....

·
on line
6 Posts
Good to see that I'm not the only one with rough shifts. The shifts do seem to smooth out though once the tranny gets up to temp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts