Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 off road model, and recently noticed that when I'm driving fast on the freeway and hit a sharp bump, it feels like the truck is bouncing/skipping about 4x after I hit it. I'm wondering if my shocks are wearing out, or if this is "normal" and I'm just not used to the feel at high speeds. (most of my driving is on surface streets)

Anyone else experience this?

·
on line
735 Posts
I had my front struts replaced recently under warranty (not because they were worn, but because one broke) so I can't really compare, but mine were still damping pretty well at 20k miles.

·
on line
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks for the info. I thought it might be the shocks going bad... Hmm, maybe now is the time for an upgrade! :D

·
on line
113 Posts
I believe Ive read on here that some folks have had problems with the factory shocks leaking/blowing out on the off road or 4x4 models. Time to crawl around underneath and look at your shocks. Look for wet area on the shock bodies and compare the height of each shock to its neighbor. Another quick suspension check you can do is to push down on the bumpers at all four corners and see if one corner or the other bounces more that the rest.

·
on line
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok. so I finally got around to checking my shocks, and it looks like one of the front ones is bent/broken, lol.

Any recommendations on upgrade options? I think I may need something beefier than the stock ones. :D
I'm thinking of doing a lift eventually (~3") so would that make a difference on what I decide to get now? (no lift)

·
on line
10,133 Posts
well, i have 2 front stock coilovers sitting in my parts pile. I don't know how much it would be to ship it out there. $30 each + shipping? The truck was never offroad with them on and my truck had roughly 6500 miles on it when i lifted it. Granted when you do a lift, you'd want to go with a PRG setup and that would include new radflo coilovers.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Creek said:
well, i have 2 front stock coilovers sitting in my parts pile.
Just my two cents...Dude, grab these and use them while you decide on the lift. Lift it and upgrade shocks as part of a package based on an overall budget and plan. Meanwhile, great deal!

·
on line
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Creek said:
well, i have 2 front stock coilovers sitting in my parts pile. I don't know how much it would be to ship it out there. $30 each + shipping? The truck was never offroad with them on and my truck had roughly 6500 miles on it when i lifted it. Granted when you do a lift, you'd want to go with a PRG setup and that would include new radflo coilovers.
Hmm, I'm really tempted to take you up on that, but I don't really have anywhere to install them myself (or have the knowledge to do it, lol)

·
on line
1,127 Posts
mudpuppy000 said:
Creek said:
Hmm, I'm really tempted to take you up on that, but I don't really have anywhere to install them myself (or have the knowledge to do it, lol)
Hey Dude I would be more than happy to help you do this if you are willing to drive down to San Clemente. I have all the tools needed and could do it in about 1-2 hours.

·
on line
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Dude I would be more than happy to help you do this if you are willing to drive down to San Clemente. I have all the tools needed and could do it in about 1-2 hours.
That's awesome man, thanks!

My brother in law is trying to convince me to do a lift while I change out the shocks, so I'm thinking of doing the radflo's as long as I have to take the springs off. Apparently he's done a bunch of lifts on his trucks in the past, so he said he'd help me do mine.

Anyway, I think I'll need a spring compressor for that, anyone know where I can borrow/rent/buy one for cheap?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you go with the radflo's from PRG, you don't need a spring compressor. You just replace the entire stock shock and sprint with the new shock and spring that come preassembled.

Also, if you are getting a lot of bounce on the high-way, I would check your tire pressure and make sure it's not too high (35psi should be plenty).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts