Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have the MB Predators with the 285/60/18`s Nitto terra grapplers.
First I want to say I` have very minimal rubbing when turned lock to lock going out of my drive way that`s it, so this isn`t the issue.

I notice sometimes when i`m cruising around an entrance or exit ramp at speed the "slip" light will illuminate and you can feel the abs kick in for a few seconds, now that`s on pavement...

today I was out in the sand making a U turn on the beach and the same symptoms happened, what`s up with this?

this does not happen on the asphalt with the crappy stock BFG`s. and I won`t go in the sand with those tires so I don`t know if it will do it with the BFG`s...
any thought`s?
otherwise truck rolls perfect no vibration at any speed...
BTW the new ceramic pads with new rotors kicks butt!, I`m happy with the results...PR...

·
on line
631 Posts
Pale Rider said:
BTW the new ceramic pads with new rotors kicks butt!, I`m happy with the results...PR...
What brake pads and rotors are you running? I need to do my brakes, but don't want to install factory parts...

As for your "slip" light problem, mine did that today while taking a off ramp a little faster than I should have. If you take a corner to fast the truck will lean to one side and one of the rear tires will "lose traction". That doesnt mean it will be off the ground.. the speed sensors at each wheel will notice a difference in speed at a certain tire within a split second and that is when the ABS will kick on to adjust wheel spin. Its no biggie.. but just be careful when taking a corner to fast because you may lose traction.

Example... drivers rear tire is spinning at 2000rpms. passenger rear tire is spinning at 2000rpms then jumps to 3000rpms.. the ABS will apply the brakes to that wheel to slow it down, causing the "slip" light to come on... i got tons of other examples if you need em but right now i am to lazy.. hope that helps!

·
on line
137 Posts
Mine did the same thing after BFG ATs, its the VDC. Just turn it off and no problem-- if your going to be making a lot of tight turns and don't want to deal with it. Why these tires and not the stock? I have no answer for that except for maybe the stiffer sidewalls and not rolling over as much????? who knows?

Only happened after the new tires, never before.

·
on line
90 Posts
I think I was the first person at XOC with the SLIP/VDC problem. In my truck, the SLIP light and VDC light would both come on, and never turn off without turning the truck off and cranking it again. There was no rhyme or reason to when it would turn on.

In my early post there, I went through the process. The eventual fix was replacing a bad ECM harness - one of the connectors was corroded. It took the dealer several mis-diagnosis to find the problem. It has been almost
1 1/2 years now, and the problem remains fixed. VDC works as it should, and the SLIP light only illuminates if a tire is spinning without traction.

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Driver X said:
Pale Rider said:
What brake pads and rotors are you running?

the part numbers are in this thread. I do know that the rotors are factory new.

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6701

I always feel it`s the right front tire doing something, almost as if it`s hiting the fender, but not. and when the abs kicks in becuase of slip it`s usually only on this wheel, coincidence?

so for when I go in the sand or off road I should shut off the VDC?...Thanks...PR...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts