Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 S that I bought used a little over a year ago. A few days ago, at the end of a really hot day, it wouldn't start. I had electrical power, but no engine noise at all. My buddies and I got it started with a push start on a slight downhill (God bless standard transmissions). I drove it to a dealer, and the service department said it was a bad clutch switch. I'd never heard of one of those going bad, and I and my wife's family have all driven standard transmissions pretty regularly.

Is this a known issue with Nissan? Is there something I can do to prevent it from happening again? Just a fluke?

Everything was still under warranty, so it didn't cost me any money, but I'm sort of unnerved that a 2-3 year old car wouldn't start.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
yea it seems they are fragile, or a bad run of them in 2012. mine has been fine but my friend's broke after a few months of owning his, luckily he has a 2012 pro4x with clutch bypass switch. id recommend installing one, or just knowing how to ground the wiring for the switch so you dont get stranded if it happens again.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Agreed ... easy to bypass and seems there may have been a run of bad parts, however I would posit that it's not been the switches themselves (by my observation) that are going bad, but rather the bumpers that they engage ... seems they're either falling apart or getting pushed out of their mounts - hence the suggestion to replace it with a bolt.

Adding your own bypass switch (momentary) isn't a bad call either, and can make it nice if you ever find the need to start the truck when you're not sitting in the driver's seat ... that's happened to me a time or two, and having the bypass (mine's factory) is a 'nice-to-have'.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
Agreed ... easy to bypass and seems there may have been a run of bad parts, however I would posit that it's not been the switches themselves (by my observation) that are going bad, but rather the bumpers that they engage ... seems they're either falling apart or getting pushed out of their mounts - hence the suggestion to replace it with a bolt.
<snip>
Mine was also the bumper that broke. I fixed mine with duct tape and a piece of wood and its worked for 3+ years.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
The pad on mine became brittle and broke at 27k or so. I replaced it with the Nissan part(yeah I know why did I do that, because I wanted to) and I've gone another 12k with no issues to it, no dents, and it's still soft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts